Had Tilt Table Test This Morning, Negative Result, Questions!!

SJSB

I had my first tilt table test this morning and ended up getting the Isuprel and nothing happened so they said I had a negative result. The only thing they noticed were some strange heart waves, P waves. Other than that, my symptoms were numbness in my lower legs and very MINOR lightheadedness. Normally when my blood pressure is checked it is low. I was very anxious for this test so my blood pressure was normal, OF COURSE! Just my luck! Is it normal to a saline IV during this test? I was thinking this could increase blood volume and get in the way of the test results. I'm wondering if the saline caused me to not have the symptoms I normally have at home. When I get up from lying down or from bending over or squatting I always have the headrush, dizzy feeling. During the tilt table test I seemed to feel better than ever...is this b/c of the saline?? By the way, if anyone is nervous about this test, don't be, I was very nervous for nothing.

Many places call it a negative TTT if you don't pass out. That doesn't mean it's not positive for POTS, though.

My first TTT had the saline, but I don't think it was enough to really affect the results -- it's usually an hour or less, not run at a fast pace. They put the line in you just to have something by which they can deliver meds if you need them. I'm guessing your isuprel was delivered via IV?

Another thing to consider is that we all have good days, and sometimes a TTT catches us on one of those. You can always repeat it. I've had three TTTs in the last year, with almost no tachy on the second one -- it was a great day. For the third TTT, the doctors raised the temp in the room a bit and had me wear a bunch of layers to really encourage the POTSy numbers -- when I'm hot, my symptoms are bad. It was miserable, but it worked.

I haven't had the tilt but had the EP study and had an IV with that. They tried 3 or 4 it seemed drugs to trigger me into SVT I felt minor symptoms despite the IV but nothing triggered a POTS episode but I was lying flat.

Until the adrenaline and that did it so in spite the fact I had the IV I think of something is going to trigger you it will despite the saline.

It's probably not given at a high rate they just need an open line and if you would bottom out they can administer drugs to stabilize your blood pressure and maybe even lots of fluid fast ( something I don't handle well ) to try to get your bp back up.

I had 2 bags of saline before mine because I felt so bad. I failed with flying colors :)' haha But I think its an individual thing. I would NEVER do that test again! Your so lucky I thought it was terrible. I threw up, starting shaking, crying, threw up again, and SLOWLY started passing out. They lowered me at 6 mins after my vision and hearing left (i dont think i fully passed out). When I finally was laying down, I had a seizure. Then I felt so much better after awhile.

howdy yal,

My first tilt table test was inconclusive, meaning she said my blood pressure and heart rate were doing some weird things that in her 8 years of doing the test she had not seen results like mine.... whatever that meant, not really sure, cuz now due to my short term memory, i can't exactly remember what the HR and BP done exactly. Had another poor mans tilt table test that was done in less than 5 mins.... therefore vanderbilt refused to diagnose me as having POTS.

Im glad some of you have wrote that even though a tilt table test can be negative or inconclusive, that it doesnt mean we dont have POTS..... cuz, well, i have my pots holes, and during those times, it is the OI, HR and BP that all act up just like it's 'suppose' to. Right now, i do think my 'pots' is on the downlow for the most part, i do feel im dealing mostly with the dysautonomia, mcad (although i think its under control for the most part too) and some other issues at the moment.....

I always felt like i have pots, too many tell tell signs..... glad to know that i prob do have it anyways, its just docs and their testing methods arent always precise, and well, our bodies aren't always doing what we need it to do during tests, since this disease can be 'all over the place' so to speak.

thanks for the post

tennille

howdy yal,

My first tilt table test was inconclusive, meaning she said my blood pressure and heart rate were doing some weird things that in her 8 years of doing the test she had not seen results like mine.... whatever that meant, not really sure, cuz now due to my short term memory, i can't exactly remember what the HR and BP done exactly. Had another poor mans tilt table test that was done in less than 5 mins.... therefore vanderbilt refused to diagnose me as having POTS.

Im glad some of you have wrote that even though a tilt table test can be negative or inconclusive, that it doesnt mean we dont have POTS..... cuz, well, i have my pots holes, and during those times, it is the OI, HR and BP that all act up just like it's 'suppose' to. Right now, i do think my 'pots' is on the downlow for the most part, i do feel im dealing mostly with the dysautonomia, mcad (although i think its under control for the most part too) and some other issues at the moment.....

I always felt like i have pots, too many tell tell signs..... glad to know that i prob do have it anyways, its just docs and their testing methods arent always precise, and well, our bodies aren't always doing what we need it to do during tests, since this disease can be 'all over the place' so to speak.

thanks for the post

tennille

I also forgot to say, that during both tests, i was in the 'pass-outish' stage, was very symptomatic, and the tests brought on my symptoms more aggressively... i didnt pass out though.... but oh my was i sick, lightheaded and weak and dizzy and disoriented ...... ugh.

tennille

When do you talk to your Dr.? I think for some if your symptoms continue then you might repeat the test. I have heard of some of the professionals referring to the TTT as a dirty test because the results can vary depending on a lot of things. Did they give you any clue? Do you have a next step? Could be something else. CFS? Fibromyalgia? Candida overgrowth?