Compressed Carotids

Today I had my very first medical massage for fibromyalgia. Well, it was heavenly. But during my conversation with the therapist, I mentioned my dys symptoms and this was his comment: 'Whenever a client complains of nausea or dizziness, the first thing I think of is the carotids.' Apparently if the nearby muscles are tense then they can impede blood flow to the brain. Well, believe me, I have the most tense neck muscles in town, and always have. Needless to say, he worked on those for quite a while and I am so glad I told him about that.

So has anybody else heard this theory or has massage helped your dizziness? I think this makes a lot of sense (at least in my case) and now I can't wait for my next appt!

I haven't had any professional massages, but I did buy a massage chair for headaches. I've found that sometimes when I have a bad headache a massage helps and I would guess it would be like your therapist said that the blood flow isn't getting to the brain like it should. I hadn't thought about it helping with dizziness, but i'm going to have to try that the next time I'm dizzy now! Glad to hear that your appointment went so well!!

I have chronically tense shoulder muscles for years now. I think it is related to my worsening posture. When I do get an extra tenseness from a "locked up" muscle, I do notice more dizziness. I then know I have to apply heat to get it to release so the dizziness goes away.

I had a thread from a few years ago wondering if our posture was a contributing factor. I assume many here have some unnatural posture curves and/or spinal curves. I was thinking it might be impeding blood flow.