Gi Mobility

Hi friends,

My 6 month appointment is coming up for Mayo, and I have to decide whether I need it or not. I've only fainted and needed IV saline once in the last 3 months, so I'm doing pretty good.

The only thing that bothers me still is, well... "dysfunctional bowel habits" lets say. For a while I took magnesium and it worked, but it made my HR drop and now it's pretty slow again. But how much does this really affect pots? I've heard you guys talk about it a lot.

Thanks as always.

Liz

A LOT of folks have GI issues. Some can be linked to your POTS, or in my case I found out what I thought was related to my POTS was in fact Celiac disease. But the bottom line is, unless the trip is absolutely too difficult to manage, I would say to go. Continuing follow up care is how you stay healthy, and make sure they have you on the right regimen. Your GI symptoms should be looked into as well, as that can be due to any number of things, some POTSy, some not. Hope this helps!

Sandy

I feel like if I go when nothing's worse then people think I'm an idiot. Seriously. My ex-cardiologist's nurse was like "I don't understand why you still want to see him if you're fine" when it was time to schedule my appointment with him.

Maybe it's one of those normal problems everyone has and I just don't know that because of my weirdo health problems.

I feel like if I go when nothing's worse then people think I'm an idiot. Seriously. My ex-cardiologist's nurse was like "I don't understand why you still want to see him if you're fine" when it was time to schedule my appointment with him.

Maybe it's one of those normal problems everyone has and I just don't know that because of my weirdo health problems.

Some doctors are clueless about dysautonomia, how much do you think this nurse knows about it. Don't let a doctors staff control your health care.

I am in agreement with the others. Don't let the nurse dictate your visits. Even if you are feeling good, don't overlook your GI concern. I see my Neurologist every 3 months. Last visit I was feeling great. I just saw him today and have been being symptomatic for the past few weeks. He compared notes and we are doing some medication adjustments, going to a higher mmhg support hose, looking into cooling vests and increasing fluids because of the weather change. Follow-up visits can help with monitoring your progress, etc...

I say keep the visit :)