K Is Having Trouble Seeing Tonight....

The only new med they put K on this week was Scopalamine patches. Dr. Kanter said that she may feel "swimmy" headed and have trouble concentrating. He didn't say anything about vision specifically. But, tonight, she is having trouble seeing. Everything in her vision is very blurry and she can't read anything! I've called the pager for her doctor, but no return call yet.

Anyone else ever been on the Scopalamine? Same thing happen? If they don't call soon I'm yanking the thing off her!

I wish I could tell you something about this specifically but I will say that I have tried a lot of things for my conditions and sometimes the benefits outweigh the side effects, and sometimes they don't. And sometimes, other things can be tried that won't affect you the same way. If it's not dangerous to stop it altogether, I would definitely do it if the benefits to it are not outweighing the side effects.

The info on side effects does list blurry vision. Stay calm. I hope they do call soon. If she is having pain and/or redness, dialating of her pupils, then that is appparently more concern. I would ask if the body adjusts to the side effects after awhile. My son takes Midodrine. He had terrible side effects in the beginning but wanted to give the medicine a chance. He now has no side effects and enjoys the benefits because he stuck it out.

Ophthalmic

The drug is used in eye drops to induce mydriasis (pupillary dilation) and cycloplegia (paralysis of the eye focusing muscle), primarily in the treatment of eye disorders that benefit from its prolonged effect, e.g. uveitis, iritis, iridocyclitis, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopolamine

not the most reliable source but it does mention eye muscles having a hard time to focus.

Got busy with K and didn't come back here to update. They - at first - said to take the patch off. Then an hour later called back and changed their minds. We put the patch back on and we are supposed to have her under constant supervision. If symptoms worsen remove the patch. Otherwise leave it on and call them Monday morning to discuss options.

This journey is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating!