Hi, everyone...

JLB

Been gone for a few weeks. It's good to be back. This is a busy place - so much to catch up on.

During my absence, my husband and I separated. We've agreed to postpone the divorce until the kids are more squared away in their lives (they're 15 and 17), and I get an education. But it was really stressful, and my symptoms increased for a while.

What I'm wondering is, how much does stress impact the rest of you? What kind of stresses will bring on an episode in your life? I've learned that POTS/Dys people are highly sensitive to adrenaline, and that's certainly true in me - how about the rest of you?

And how do you deal with stress effectively?

Wow! that's a lot of stress! I would definitely need to take my Xanax all the time, which I usually reserve for those times when I can't control the adrenaline surges, like premenstraully or when I have to go out to a place where there's a lot of sensory stimulation. I know this type of medication is controversial for some, but it has been a lifesaver for me for exactly those situations which increase stress. Martha

That is a lot of stress, and I would have a hard time with that too. I'm sorry that you are going through a separation.

If possible, I try to set aside time each day for some yoga and meditation--even if it is just to sit in stillness for 5 minutes. I also try to pay even more attention to my diet during stressful periods--more fresh fruits and veggies, skipping any sugar-laden foods. Also, I try to do something I enjoy that brings me some peace--play my violin, listen to music I particularly enjoy, take a walk somewhere quiet--even if it is just down the road. Also, talking to friends helps--if it is a friend who understands, will listen and won't tire you out instead with his or her problems.

Take care,

Katherine

Sorry to hear you have been through so much stress lately. I can say that stress, even minor daily stresses, can effect how I feel. I also practice yoga and do breathing exercises. Finding a quiet place to do this even for 10 or 15 minutes helps a lot.

good luck to you and your children during this stressful period.

I am so sorry to hear about you and your husband. I agree with Katherine and Geneva about the natural stress relieving methods and even the Xanax if you need something to get you through really stressful times. Stress affects me greatly, especially if I get caught up in my job and stop taking the time to take care of myself. Yoga and meditation work wonders for me.

Chronic stress affects my symptoms, but I even get adrenaline surges in temporary stressful situations, like the other day a policeman passed my car and turned his sirens on. I thought he was pulling me over, but he was after someone else. But my heart started racing uncontrollably and it took a little while to calm down. :P I thought to myself - how silly, I wasn't even speeding, and the policeman wasn't after me, but the way my body responded, you'd think I had just robbed a bank or something! :) Adrenaline took over my body again when we were having thunderstorms in the area recently and they issued a tornado warning. I became absolutely terrified and I literally thought I would have a heart attack becuase my heart was racing so fast.

I have never been like this before I had POTS. What a bummer. :( Hang in there and try to take some preventative calming measures.

Sending lot of hugs your way.

Yes, stress is definitely a factor!! I deal with stress by exercising. I don't do much, because I can't yet, but I've been working up to doing more as I feel up to it. It helps me feel more in control of everything--my body, my stress...my life.

That's about it! :P

Kristin