worth redoing holter if normal first time?

Radha

i had holter done a year ago and it was normal but since i asked my doc if could increase my beta blocker she wants to do another holter or event monitor, but i'm hesitating since it was already normal and to be honest i'm sick of normal results, just more ammo for them! anyway, do you think its worth redoing these tests, would anything really change in a year? emotionally i rreally dont want to deal with normal results, think some of you understand, but i do get forceful beating after eating, or if cough or push for bowel movements, thanks for any input,

radha

I can't say whether yes or no is better, but I wanted to say how much I empathize with those darned normal results. Thankfully, my Tilt Table Test was absolutely abnormal so I at least have a name for what's going on with my body... but there have been plenty of times where I just wanted to scream at the doctors at the top of my lungs "Somethings wrong! Why can't you figure this out!!!"

Whatever choice you make, may you find peace with it. :) Nina

Hi:

I can totally relate to your frustration. I have probably worn about 50 or so holter/event recorders in my life so far. It is miserable and frustrating because they often don't catch what you KNOW happens to you.

You might want to see if you could get an event recorder instead of 24/hr holter. The event recordedrs are worn for a longer period of time and you puch a button when you have symptoms so that spot on the tape is marked....maybe you know all this already.

In any case, don't let them or yourself doubt your illness just because it is not cut and dry and not appearing on a holter! I have a doctor who is very aware that holters are often unhelpful. He suspects that simply the anxiety and tension they produce while wearing them can actually mask symptoms on the recorder.

Don't give up. Stand your ground and don't let your doc. doubt you and your illness. If they do, find another doc.

Good luck!

Kristen

An event recorder didn't work for me. I sent in a ton of recordings when I first had POTS, but they were all "normal" even though I could barely hold my head up sometimes. My arrythmia and tachy did show up a couple of months later when I was hospitalized for a night and hooked up to the fancy machines in the hospital. Totally frustrating. I am with Nina, thank god for the TTT!!

Thankfully, my docs have been OK with adjusting my meds based upon the changes I report from self-monitoring my HR with my HR watch.

Good luck!

thanks to all for replying, unfortunately no luck trying to get a new doc, i live in a small town and no one will make a house call, and she wont readjust meds without proper documentation, or try anything new, like adderrall, or anthing i ask about, wish i could just get a hold of some these meds, i would be very careful! anyway i doubt i will have the monitor done at this time, thanks to all for your support

radha