Ascorbate Improves Blood Flow In Low Flow Pots (Lfp)

I don't want anyone to think that this is a "cure". My son has been taking 500 mg. of ascorbic acid daily for over a year now. That's the same thing as ascorbate, right? Maybe it's helping him, but not in any way that's obvious. Once again, this has not been Dan's magic bullet.

The article was a little "sciencey" for me so I tried to read between the lines and guess that it was Vitamin C they were talking about. Is that right? I also dont know much about low flow POTS. I have heard of other types like developmental POTS, Hyper POTS, partial POTS and what not but not low flow. What does that mean? I lean towards hyper POTS as I put out alot of norepi so does this apply to me?

KC

That's really interesting. A little while ago Julie posted some info about Dr. Pall's theories re NO. I tried to read it and he recommends a bunch of supplements but where I live I don't have access to a person who can help me make informed and thoughtful medical decisions about supplements. However he also says he thinks Ascorbic Acid could help with NO abnormalities, so I figured taking Vit C couldn't hurt...so about three weeks ago I started taking 1000 mg slow release Vit C twice a day. It may have been a total coincidence, but after about 10 days I had the best weekend I have had for a while. Then I started skipping the Vit C and again it may have been coincidence (I have a lot of symptom variability), but I have been having a crummy week. Anyhow, my point is that I am going to start being careful about taking it again and see what happens.

Julian Stewart is light years ahead of any other dysautonomia researcher, for new members that haven't visited his web site it's http://www.nymc.edu/fhp/centers/syncope/index.htm

It will give you a little back ground information on LFP, and his other POTS divisions.

I have been taking 3 grams of vitamin C for a long while I can't say it's changed my orthostatic hypertension, but I'm sure it's at least helping with the increased oxidative stress. Great post rama.

I brought vitamin C up last year. Along with it's role in collagen synthesis, it is also involved in preventing histamine release(or breaking it down, or something like that).

Along with understanding what vitamin C does in the body, I was reading about the degradation of vitamin C by intestinal bacteria. If under these circumstances in some people due to their unique pH and bacterial make-up, it is possible that we can consume vitamin C, but it is broken down by the bacteria, leaving no ascorbic acid to be used by the body. This is all in the attached article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC180761/?page=8

I really think by us all hashing it out on this forum, we will get it narrowed down!