hyper or ADD?

Radha

sometimes i wonder if i may have ADD, because at times i get so hyper and cant shut my brain off, thoughts just running a mile a minute and so scattered that i cant concentrate on a t.v. program or a book i'm reading, its very frustrating and i feel so bad talking so much at those times and just being such a nag to my mom, although God bless her she is so patient with me, nevertheless i hate asking her so many questions and just being a pest, although she never says that, anyway, i wanted to know if there are any natural alternatives to adderral or ritalin to calm the mind down so i can focus when i get these episodes? thanks, i just cant seem to shut my mind off at times, and it makes me so angry, and i cant meditate!

radha

Hi there. I have a friend who has ADHD and has symptoms very similar to yours. I know it can be really frustrating. Before considering natural or pharmaceutical approaches, you may want to examine your diet first. You might want to eliminate sugar, caffeine and any chemicals such as nitrate or nutrasweet and food dyes. These things can often aggrevate symptoms in ADD and ADHD. You may also want to consider adding a fish oil capsule to your diet (it has omega 3 (EPA and DHA) essential fatty acids in it that are very important for proper brain and nerve functions).

I would try those things first to see if they help. Give it at least a few weeks to see if there's a difference. Other natural supplements that are often used for ADD and ADHD are GABA, SAM-E and acetylcholine. There's also a natural product called "Attend" from Vaxa International, specifically designed for ADD/ADHD. As with all natural products, especially combinations of herbs, amino acids, etc. make sure there's nothing in it that would aggrevate your dysautonomia or interfere with any meds you may be on.

Hope you find a solution that works for you. Diet is always an area to address first though! :lol:

Those are good ideas, Gena. I take a spoonful of cod liver oil daily because I figure it doesn't hurt and can only help. Would you believe I think it actually tastes good and lemon-y?

Radha, I also have a hyperactive mind. I used to be into yoga and meditation pre-POTS, but now when I do these things I am WAY more distracted and cannot get into that zone I used to be able to settle into. Don't have much else to offer than that, but can commiserate.

Amy

Guest tearose

Gena, can we get adequate fish oil from eating sardines or is it not enough? My pcp suggested fish oil capsules but I'd rather try to get it from my food. Is that possible?

tearose

Ditto Gena's advice. The only thing I can think to add to that list is wheat, and maybe even go completely gluten free. Grains can exacerbate ADD symptoms.

I became ADD when my health worsened (in my early 20s), but I am less ADD when I'm feeling physically better. Whatever is going on in the body is mirrored in the brain - so if your body chemistry is out of whack, your brain will be unable to process signals properly.

I understand the incredible frustration of this. I know that it's not the "real me" - but it makes me feel (and appear) very stupid so much of the time.

You have received excellent advice. I just want to validate this! I went to a conference on ADD/ADHD. THe Dr was big on alternative treatment methods. He could not say enough about omega 3 fatty acids and its benifits. He also talked about avoiding MSG and food dyes. I wish I could remember more for you!

Dawn