Blood Volume

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About decided to not take the Taurine. It gives me hot flashes, feel fuzzy headed and generally unwell. Cut it down to a very small amount and still same results. The only thing I can figure is my body doesn't break down protein properly. (Had similiar issues with every type of amino I've tried.) I think taking Vit. C and Vit. E seems to agree with me. Also have found Olive Leaf to be very beneficial - it helps to regulate NET function. Take a few other supplements - but these pertain to POTS the most - I think.

Experiemnt Over!

I always feel dehydrated too but when I was recently in the hospital they said I wasn't dehydrated and didn't give me a saline IV. They said my electrolytes were fine. Does anyone know about this? If your electrolytes test normal does that mean you are not dehydrated and if so why do I feel as if I am/

Yes, my daxor BVA was at vandy. My red blood volume was something like 35%.,..severe. My CBC is even looking bad these days. My NE also is wacky high. Thanks for the info abt the daxor site. I need to check that out. If I didn't mention before, if u have severe hypovolemia, u might want to get your albumin checked.

• 5 months later...

Todd, you brought up the Q re regional versus overall hypervolemia. I had wondered this too. After watching that seminar series i mentioned above, it appears (at least to me) that the body prioritises blood flow to vital organs. So if you had neuropathy and your overall blood volume was normal for someone your size, standing would pool blood in your legs decreasing bp to vital organs. These organs sense a problem and activate the renin angiotensin system. So, my interpretation was, it's regional. What do others think?

I've been wondering about blood volume since my POTS diagnosis in Feb '11. I have been instructed to salt and water load, but had never had a blood volume test. A couple weeks ago, I went to Mayo Rochester for testing, because my local docs treatment plans were not working.

At Mayo, I did a 24-hr urine collection. At my doc and nurse consults up there, I was shown the results of that collection, which indicated that my output was good (meaning that I was drinking enough water), and that my sodium levels were normal. However, they said that they wanted to see my sodium levels at the upper end of normal, because that's what they recommend for POTS pts. I was instructed to increase my sodium intake and to have another 24-hr urine collection in 3-4 wks.

Reading in this thread that Mayo has access to Daxor equipment, I don't understand why a "real" blood volume test wasn't run. Any thoughts on this?