Finally Something Helping The Nausea

Christy_D

My son has had nausea for over 2 years now with the normal anti-nausea meds not helping. We tried everything over the counter, supplements, and tons of prescription meds to no avail(zofran etc). Late last summer, Doxepin on a very high dose helped tremendously, but only for 7 weeks and then it stopped.

This winter, especially March, have been the worst months to date for his nausea. We just started him on Cymbalta/Abilify in March and when he got to his full dose of 120 mgs, viola, nausea is down to a 3 on a scale of 10. He is functional at 75% level as well for all of his POTS symptoms. Hopefully, this will last longer than the doxepin did. His neurologists confirm that they believe his nausea is neurological and not G I related.

I just thought I would drop this info out there for those that might be experiencing the same problem. Also, the doxepin and cymbalta did not help at all until he reached the high dose. And..the positive effect both times was immediate. The day he went to the high dose of doxepin and then cymbalta he received immediate relief.

Christy

I am so glad this worked for your son. Can't say the same for me. Just this week I took two (oount 'em two) doses of 30 mg Cymbalta for fibro and the nausea was so overwhelming that I had to stop. Plus, my arms went numb. It took four entire days for the side effects to go away. I have read of really good experiences with this drug so I was hopeful. NOT--LOL! But still happy for you both. Nausea bites :angry:

I also wanted to add a note about Cymbalta. I started it in Feb of last year, a pretty high dose for pain (before I know I had POTS), and it helped with pain for a bit but after a few months made POTS much worse (too much NE I imagine). I hope it doesn't do that for your son. I think that Nalcrom/Gastrocrom has been helping me a lot with nausea, along with the anti-histamines - it seems to be viewed as a pretty safe drug.

Oh dear, those possible side effects are scary....But I'm so glad your sweet son has found some improvement. I PRAY it is long term & no negative side effects develop.

Hugs-

Julie

That is wonderful that your son has found some relief!! I hope it sticks around unlike with the other meds. I have to say - I've been on cymbalta for a few years now and the "normal person" dose gave me bad side effects, but when we pulled back and broke the capsules up (dumping some out) the lower dose worked wonders. Unfortunately Abilify didn't work for me. I *thought* I was all chilled out on it and my anxiety was waaaay down B) ... then everyone around me told me I had to go off it and I didn't understand why. Apparently I was totally without affect on it -- like a robot -- no emotion! Just watch that with your son as it can cause mood changes. Best of luck to you both - sounds like all is well at the moment!