Confused About Autonomic Testing

I will be going through autonomic testing this week, and I'm confused about its purpose. Is the purpose to rule POTS in or out, or is it to see if there's some other autonomic problem causing POTS? This is for the testing other than my TTT, which I've already done.

I'm basically confused as to whether they're trying to get to the bottom of my POTS before changing my medication, or if they're questioning whether I have POTS.

I did a search and found a lot about what to expect, but I remain confused about the purpose of going through this.

I believe that with this testing you are going for now, they are looking at your autonomic reflexes to see if there is neuropathy (disease of the nerves) that could be involved with your POTS. Apparently you can have POTS but have the autonomic reflexes intact or you can have POTS and have abnormal autonomic reflexes and then you get labeled with POTS and autonomic neuropathy. Or, you can have POTS and get labeled with small fiber neuropathy- which means you have a problem with the nerves that are involved with the sensation part of your extremities and can be involved with cardiovascular problems. Or you can have POTS and be hypovolemic or you can have Hyperadrenergic POTS........

Clear as mud? :lol:

I think that they do this to help with the treatment and also to have a better idea of prognosis etc. If you google POTS: the mayo experience there is an article that describes a lot of these tests and what they are looking for and what it means for treatment.

The TTT tells you that you have POTS. The other tests gives them more information (perhaps) about what else is going on- Or not. The other tests can all be normal but you still have POTS.

Hopefully others will chime in with any corrections if I've given you incorrect info. :)

Good luck with the tests. They aren't usually too bad (personally the TTT and catecholamine tests were the worst for me.)

Enko,

Don't be scared. My TTT was a piece of cake. I was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension even though I was already on fluid & salt. I did not pass out or anything even close. You will be just fine, trust that they will take good care of you. B)

I had the same fears because I was just desperate for relief as well. It was a tough two month wait but well worth it. Deep yoga breaths!

songcanary :wub:

unfortunately I'm not scared about having TTT because my Doc thinks I don't need it :unsure: I think they don't do that test in testing what I'll undergo (at some unknown time because they said they'll call when they'll find an empty spot to take me <_< ).. I hate being on ice like that :blink: