What To Eat

gdomaracki

Ive noticed with this pots flare that my blood sugar levels are dropping on a more frequent basis. Ive had reactive hypoglycemia since I was 10 and have completely cut sugar out.

What are some things that you eat that help stabilize your sugars and keep it from getting too low??

Supposedly protein and fat is supposed to keep things steady and even. You can eat complex carbs, but not too many. If you're having an extra bad time, stick with mostly protein and fats. If I could eat nuts, I would snack on them or peanut butter. If I could eat cheese, I would snack on that. Unfortunately, those both get in my stomach and sit like a lead ball, then feel like a lead ball going through the intestines for the next day!

So, I guess the point of this is, what ever you can eat that fits in the protein/fat category.

It's just not normal for us to so react to even small amounts of sugar/carbs like that! :angry:

As long as you can tolerate high fiber, Kashi brand products are great. My nutritionist told me that every time I eat I should include protein to keep my blood sugar stable. I can't have dairy and I've seen that can aggravate POTS symptoms so I do raw nuts, all Kashi stuff is high in protein, lean meat, and couscous.

Avocados, peanut better, hummus, or any type of cheese on a whole wheat cracker, low fat cottage cheese, eggs, deli meats (Boars Head is great- no preservatives), roasted chicken, salmon, and any type of nut. I keep a Lara Bar in my purse- the kind with 2 ingredients: like almonds & apples. It's mostly nuts, full of protein- just a touch of apple for sweetener. They also come in cherry pie & cashew cookie flavor- YUMMY (no preservatives & oodles of protein.)

No caffeine or alcohol. No fruit. No refined foods. Nothing white- pasta, bread, rice. Most vegs are OK- avoid corn & carrots. Any whole grain carbs are OK in small amounts.

Corn Starch is supposed to help stabilize blood sugar I occasionally thicken some chicken broth with some- seems to help.

You are not alone!

Julie