Excessive Bruising?

icesktr189

Everyday I wake up with new bruises on my legs. I don't really move around and don't bump into things too often since I am usually confined to the couch. Today I woke up with pretty bad leg pain and this red lemon sized bruise on my leg.

I have always put off them because I assumed that having blood constantly pooled in my legs would make me bruise easier. Now my legs are achy everyday.

My mother told me that it could be a blood disorder and I should get it checked out. I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac though. Anyone else experience this? Its mostly confined to my legs, but I tend to bruise easily on my arms too. I don't have a lot of fat or muscle, im mainly skin and bones if that helps LOL

The crucial point of both these questions is have these things always happened? Or did they start recently? And since this is a site about autonomic dysfunction, I feel compelled to ask if you've been worked up for EDS, since all three are minor signs of that disorder.

Hi sorry!

This started during the last couple months when i was pregnant. My gums are swollen all the time and they bleed when i brush my teeth. I get crazy big bruises even though I dont bump anything. My legs also ache a lot. I am not anemic right now ( just had a blood test)

I was checked for EDS and they said it was pretty inconclusive. I do have hyper mobility in my hands and my legs and arms go pretty far back. Also have a high palate in my mouth, but was not able to bend my arms down to my legs ( i was however 35 weeks pregnant when they did this test lol) They kind of blew me off after that saying I was fine.

dani, I would get a second opinion. On my first visit, I got blown off too. Meanwhile, I just got sicker and sicker. I thought that the geneticist thought I didn't have EDS, but when I saw her again, turns out she thought I did, but she just didn't think the diagnosis was important enough to log. Mostly because it couldn't be proved...or something. Not all doctors or even geneticists are created equal. From what I hear a lot of women in particular will become symptomatic after a hormonal event like pregnancy, puberty or even menopause.

In any case, I think it's worth looking into again.

Im just out of luck right now because Im on Medicaid from not being able to work. They are really stingy with doing "experimental tests" in the first place.

The only reason they agreed to it to begin with is because i was 9 months pregnant and they were worried if I had vascular EDS that i could die during birth. But now they have said they are not sure, i doubt they will do it again :[

Ugh I really hope my medicare will come through someday. Still waiting on judges decision on whether I get approved for disability or not. My age (21) is making it really hard for me to get a fast approval.

Hi Dani~

I agree with Reen. If you're not moving around much, pain in the leg can definitely be a sign of a blood clot, to put it in simpler terms. I would have them do a blood test for that, just to make sure. I had increasing pain in my chest and shortness of breath, and it turns out I have a blood clot in the right atrium of my heart. Otherwise, anemia comes to mind, but make sure your doctor doesn't blow you off and you get this checked out soon!

Cheers,

Jana