Magnesium!!!

juliegee

• 6 years later...

While this is an older thread, most of us still use the valuable info we find here on Dinet. I decided to share! I have tried all forms of magnesium in my battle against Dysautonomia, POTS, Ehler Danlos and Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. I recently found a company called Ancient Lakes, based out of Australia. There are independent vendors in the U.S, U.K and AUS, so shipping costs are affordable for most everyone. I use the magnesium infused salts (so convenient since I am on 17 grams of salt daily) and I also use their "magnesium bitterns". I simply put about 30 drops in my lemon water every morning. Another plus is that it can help with my occasional constipation, since I can just up my drops by a few and that gets things going again.  I was diagnosed at 19 with POTS (I am 42 now) and for years I have been chronically deficient in Mg, and other minerals/vitamins due to gastroparesis. This past doctor visit was the first time that I had optimal levels of Mg! I also sleep better, I can tolerate the infused salt without vomiting and it also helps with my Mast Cell due to my histamine triggers. This is my personal experience, but I wanted to mention it for others going through the same things. 

I take the Calm Magnesium powder. I use it for slow motility, one teaspoon in the morning mixed with water, and one teaspoon at bedtime. Vita cost.com is the least expensive place I have found to purchase it. I have heard as some others mentioned that it helps with sleep, and it may help me feel relaxed, but not sleepy, so taking it in the divided doses is what works for me. I am very sensitive to medications, but have not had any unpleasant side effects. If my bowels get too loose, I just decrease the amount of powder, which does happen from time to time depending on daily diet.  I have been using it for about 5 years. Has been keeping me regular every morning! I think each teaspoon is about 325mg of magnesium, but just going by memory.

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2011 at 5:23 AM, toddm1960 said:

Bananas remember the first rule of dysautonomia, what helps half of us, makes the other half feel worse. I'm in the sympathetic overdrive group so any diolation helps me. ( I'm starting niacin this week also ) You do bring up a good point though for the hypotensive part of our group, be careful with the amounts you start with. Start slow and work your way up.

This is so true. I tried about 2 weeks of using ReMag to see if magnesium would help my symptoms. I did notice at first my energy seemed better and it did not affect my sleeping patterns. Unfortunately I started slowly becoming more dizzy, weak and uncoordinated. I went to the doctor and my blood pressure dropped to 80/60. I’ve always been on the low end of normal (111-117/70 is my normal) but I’ve never dropped below that!

My blood pressure drops further when standing up as well - no wonder I felt awful. I’ve since increased my sodium, quit the ReMag and take a multivitamin instead. My blood pressure after 1 week of these changes is now 104/80 (drops to 94/80 upon standing). I feel a little better but still not great.

Just fair warning to everyone to be very cautious with magnesium - I think it may benefit some but may harm others like myself. ;)

Magnesium is good but can make us feel worse in two ways - one is if it causes diarrhoea which can be dehydrating, the second is because it has vasodilating properties which lowers BP. 

I take just under half a teaspoon of magnesium citrate at night when I am going to bed anyway. I wouldn't take it in the daytime. I tend to be constipated so the mild laxative effect is beneficial for me.

It has also been reported to help with sleep but this hasn't been noticeable for me. 

B x

• 5 months later...

I also started testing Mg Glycinate 1.5 weeks ago. I slowly titrated from 100 mg to 100 mg 4x over the 1.5 weeks. My initial response seems very positive. Heart palpitations are down, my BP is slightly lower, but extremely stable at 115/75. I also noticed that my heart rate doesn't jump as high. It used to jump from 60 to 120+, but now it seems slightly calmer at 60 to 90+. Additionally, I noticed my pulse pressure width is much more stable. It used to vary from 40 to 60, but now seems a very stable 40-45. Also, I don't feel like my chest is going to explode from the heart beats. I feel much calmer and more relaxed.

To be honest, 1.5 weeks is far to early to give a true conclusion. I find I have to test something for at least 1-3 months before I can make an honest conclusion.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507250/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10454449/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5452159/

• 3 years later...