Compression Questions

Sarah4444

Can POTS patients become dependent on compression stockings? I have read that they become less effective over time, and others seem to feel that using them prevents circulation in the legs from improving through exercise to the extent that it might without the use of compression. Are there any people out there who wore compression stockings initially but can now get by without them? Did they help/impede your healing? I don't want to depend on something this itchy that I won't be able to tolerate in the warm weather, but they do help a bit and I find I am starting to wear the more often just out of desperation. Will I end up unable to function without them, while if I had more patience with exercise that would not happen?

Guest tearose

I use compression and have not become "dependent" on them. If anything, I "retain" the tightness they offer.

I am in compression for about 10-12 hours a day.

You should learn to feel and trust your own body anyway no matter what anyone writes!

Do a little sample test at home.

tearose

I wear the 30-40mm Hg thigh high hose daily, and have just ordered the 40-50mm Hg hose for when I'm in warmer environments. I had to stop wearing hose last summer for 10 days while I treated some athlete's foot. I did okay for the first few days, but as time went on I gradually became more and more POTSy/symptomatic. Compression hose has been one of the best tools to manage my symptoms, especially since I don't react well to normal POTS meds like many others here.

I've worn the 30-40 mmHg waist high compression stockings for about a year an a half. I am glad to have them as a non-drug therapy. I have noticed that I've lost a lot of muscle in my legs, especially calves, from wearing them but I'm sure it can be fixed with exercise. My doctor recommended having extra protein in my diet to help increase muscle buiding.

Compression has been helpful for me. I am able to sit and stand longer while wearing compression, and thus I am able to do more and get more exercise than I could otherwise.

For me they have become "less effective" over time only when the compresison stretches out too much. They do need to be replaced every few months depending on how often you wear an individual pair. I can tell a big difference when I throw away my old compression and put on new compression.

I can't wear compression hose during the hot summer months anymore. The extra warmth that compression hose gives outweighs the benefits for me. Even when I can't wear the compression hose, I can sometimes still wear my compression shorts. I just can't take the heat on my legs.

Rachel

Compression has been helpful for me. I am able to sit and stand longer while wearing compression, and thus I am able to do more and get more exercise than I could otherwise

I can't wear compression hose during the hot summer months anymore. The extra warmth that compression hose gives outweighs the benefits for me. Even when I can't wear the compression hose, I can sometimes still wear my compression shorts. I just can't take the heat on my legs.

Rachel

What compression shorts do you find most beneficial? Where do you get your compression garments?

tks,

noreen