What Kind Of Compression Stockings Do You Use? (Poll)

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest tearose

You may be sensitive to the fabric.

I can't manage Jobst too long because I get itchy. They are alot less expensive so I only use these for housework.

I absolutely thrive with the JUZO brand. I use the 30-40mm level. I use a girdle/abdominal compression under my pantyhose when I need extra compression.

It was not recommended for me to use midodrine.

Do you use midodrine for heartrate or bp issues?

I am managing well with the compression, added electrolytes when needed and counter maneuvers. I also have a seat cane and a folding seat I can keep in a tote bag for when I am out and about and need to sit down swiftly.

Guest tearose

Not to get too off topic but to address midodrine since you mentioned coming off it...

I needed to search my memory and information because I knew there were a few reasons midodrine was not recommended for me"

I can have bouts of low heart rates and by raising bp the stress can be too much...

I also have bladder issues so it was problem for several reasons.

A slight slowing of the heart rate may occur after administration of Midodrine hydrochloride, primarily due to vagal reflex. Caution should be exercised when Midodrine hydrochloride is used concomitantly with cardiac glycosides (such as digitalis), psychopharmacologic agents, beta blockers or other agents that directly or indirectly reduce heart rate. Patients who experience any signs or symptoms suggesting bradycardia (pulse slowing, increased dizziness, syncope, cardiac awareness) should be advised to discontinue Midodrine hydrochloride and should be re-evaluated.

Midodrine hydrochloride should be used cautiously in patients with urinary retention problems, as desglyMidodrine acts on the alpha-adrenergic receptors of the bladder neck.

Midodrine hydrochloride should be used with caution in orthostatic hypotensive patients who are also diabetic, as well as those with a history of visual problems who are also taking fludrocortisone acetate, which is known to cause an increase in intraocular pressure and glaucoma.

Anyway, you can live in balance with compression hose and compression garments as a main staple in a treatment plan.

You may be sensitive to the fabric.

I can't manage Jobst too long because I get itchy. They are alot less expensive so I only use these for housework.

I absolutely thrive with the JUZO brand. I use the 30-40mm level. I use a girdle/abdominal compression under my pantyhose when I need extra compression.

It was not recommended for me to use midodrine.

Do you use midodrine for heartrate or bp issues?

I am managing well with the compression, added electrolytes when needed and counter maneuvers. I also have a seat cane and a folding seat I can keep in a tote bag for when I am out and about and need to sit down swiftly.

Hi Tearose -

I'm using Midodrine for BP issues. I'm actually trying to get pregnant, but going off of Midodrine completely has started me down a Pothole. My doctor is writing me a prescription for compression hose - I'll have to see if the store near me carried that brand. Thanks!

I wear custom-fitted Mediven 40-50 mmHg thigh-highs. Remember that compression is graduated so the bulk of the compression is at the bottom and very little is at the top, so if you need substantial abdominal compression you're better off addressing it with a separate abdominal binder than relying on waist-high compression stockings. Moreover, using the restroom will be much more convenient in thigh-highs especially at the higher levels of compression (30-40 or 40-50, which are generally the ones recommended for dysauto folks anyway). However, waist-highs don't have the issue of the elastic wearing out over time and possibly starting to "creep" down on you. (If insurance covers your Rx for compression stockings, they usually cover about 3 pairs at a time, and proper washing can make the elastic last better. Also, there's a special adhesive stuff that can be purchased to help keep them up if needed that some people like.) Knee-highs are specifically NOT recommended for dysautonomia (I can find you the journal article if you need the reference for your physician--PM me if you want it); if I recall correctly the explanation was that the fluids just pool directly above the level of the stocking when knee-highs are worn, which obviously doesn't fix the problem.

Anyway, you can live in balance with compression hose and compression garments as a main staple in a treatment plan.

Don't you think that's a bit of an oversimplification? It's not like every person with dysautonomia is cut out with a cookie cutter. Some folks are medicated out the hoo-ha, getting IV treatments multiple times a week, and are still bedridden much or even all of the time. The severity and prognosis of dysautonomia runs the gamut from mild and reversible to profound and terminal.

Guest tearose

I was only referring to treating with behavior modification compression garments.

I was speaking from my experience since I cannot tolerate medicines. ( I did need and manage saline and potassium IV treatments twice.)

Please, do not think I take lightly any modifications we have to make! I have been through 19 years of this ordeal from...bedridden, with a walker, unable to drive, with bowel incontinence...to remission where I could cook and drive again.

There are times when we are nearly rag dolls and there are times we can manage more. I am NEVER one to say what works for one will work for another. I apologize if my response seemed over simplified.

Sometimes my words do not come out like I would like them to. I did not grow up with computer technology and do much better in person or on the phone.

tearose

tearose,

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry if it seemed like I jumped down your throat. Been having a rotten time of things and sometimes I just feel like there's a world between me and the people who can still manage to function in life with this stuff. You're right that the computer is a difficult medium for good communication. It might be better if we had little disclaimer tags on our posts that showed how sick we are on a given day, so people wouldn't take offense when I'm crabby because I feel like poo or think I'm crazy when really I just don't make sense because I'm not getting enough oxygen to my brain. :blink:

• 1 month later...

Sarah,

I buy my compression stockings from ameswalker.com. I have always had a good experience with them, and their prices are much better than you find in most pharmacies. Also, if you get on their email list, they will send you emails when they are having sales. The downside is that sometimes their site is hard to navigate.

Here is a link to the It Stays adhesive that you can use to help keep your thigh high stockings up.

Rachel