Neck/Eye Pressure?

llynnchurch

Hello. Ok, I have a question for everyone. I have been diagnosed with POTS for 4 years now the doctor said he thought it was from a virus. But the thing about it is that I have been consistently having posterior neck pain and I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this. It is pretty strange so I do not know if it is related

to POTS, if it is and if someone else is having this then I was curious to what is the cause? Ok does anyone ever have the following : I have severe neck pain and pressure, when I have the pressure on my neck I also get an unbearable pressure on my eyes, which in turn causes me to involuntarily blink alot. My husband notices me blinking more.

It is very aggravating and it is hard to keep my head upright it feels so heavy on my neck, and the pressure on my eyes is scary that it would make me blink more than usual. Ok so any insight would help me, if it could be POTS related? Has anyone experianced it? or Does anyone know what might cause this if it is a seperate entity. P.S. I have many POTS symptoms but this one is the one that is aggravating at the moment. I have had an MRI, when POTS first started but they said it was normal, but it cannot be normal if I am feeling like this, people do not normally have severe neck pressure. Thanks alot for your help!

Have you seen a doctor? Has your primary care physician already prescribed anything like muscle relaxants or ordered x-rays?

With all the symptoms in your head and neck, it would seem like a good idea to see a neurologist. You should be prepared with the old MRI and a report detailing how the neck issue first came on and how the symptoms progressed. He/she will review the MRI and order a new one if indicated.

As part of this process, you need to evaluate if the pressure is only present when you are upright. Is it worse when you stand, when you move around, when you sit? Does it start out okay in the AM and progress the more you are upright? Is it better when you can have neck support? If being upright is the issue, you may need to request an upright MRI.

That's all I can think of right now - maybe someone else has more input.

I also have posterior neck pain and headaches in that region. About a week ago I went in for an EMG and they discovered I have nerve degeneration in that part of my neck that runs all of the way down through my right hand's fingertips. So, I imagine I'll be getting a CT soon to see what's going on. I would go to a neurologist and have an MRI/CT scan done, or even an EMG to see if you're having nerve problems in your lower back of the neck.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

I have these pains too. My eyes feel like they have pressure behind them - like they are bugging out. I also have headaches. My neck and shoulders hurt all the time. Sometimes, it feels like my head is too heavy for my neck. I feel like I'm crunching into myself. Don't know what's wrong. Hoping to find out.

Count me in. I have horrid posterior neck and head pain when upright or sitting up. The only thing that relieves it is exercise. I have not found a solution to this problem, though many of my other POTS symptoms have lessened since starting treatment. I agree with others that you should inquire about a repeat MRI. I went through a series of tests to rule out other causes for the pain, such as Chiari and CSF leak. I agree and sympathize. I detest the heavy head and terrible neck pain/ pressure. It is very annoying to live with day in and day out.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I have strongly considered seeing a neurologist, and am waiting for a referral as we speak. Since others, such as yourselves are having neck pain or pressure, do we think it is another strange POTS symptom? I would like to know what our body is doing that would cause it? Or is it another underlying issue that could possible cause POTS or just aggravate it. I have considered Chiari, which I will mention to the doctor if and when I go, but they did an MRI 4 years ago when all of this started and never mentioned anything about Chiari but it also was a family PA (that knew nothing of POTS) not a neurologist. I am going to request a upright MRI, the pain and pressure is worse while standing, reading,driving, and even sitting just being upright. It is aggravating while laying but not nearly as bad as being upright. POTS really stinks sometimes you know, shortness of breath, stomach bloating, ears full, tired, feeling off balance while walking these are the strange symptoms that are gracing me with their presence tonight. But it could be worse, and I have faith that everyone here finds answers and healing. have a goodnight!

I had to ask them to take a look at the possibility of Chairi. They didn't even look at it when they did my MRI. I do have a little drop lying, but not enough to classify me with it. If it were, it would be the Chairi 0.

I think also Ehlers Danlos contributes to some of my issues. With the eyes, neck etc. and also the pain.

What kind of exercises help you?

Any kind of relatively strenuous activity like jogging, stairmaster, cross training... I believe the issue for me is compromised blood flow to the upper body and brain when upright, not moving. When you exercise, your stroke volume goes up and your skeletal muscle pump takes over. We rely on the ANS at rest to get the blood north. I think everyone with POTS is different, but the movement of my legs reduces my symptoms greatly.