Why Can'T I Lie On My Back?

Sarah4444

I am seriously running out of positions. For the last few weeks I have been trying to be upright more, but have had trouble with recliners. I wasn't sure why, but now wonder if it's the same problems I am having lying on my back. When I lean my head back on something it seems to cause chest discomfort, a strange sensation in my neck, trouble breathing...am I just imagining this one, or does anyone else feel like this? If so, any ideas why? Thanks in advance for any insights you might have.

Sarah

I think when we lay on our back it causes the BP to drop even more and presses on nerves in the back which leads to breathing discomfort . I compare it to the same as when your pregnant and your suppose to lay on your sides. Just my thought but your not alone I feel like I will pass out when I lay on my back so I never do it anymore...

Lissy

I have this happen to me. I found that using an extremely flat pillow or no pillow at all helps. I also lift my chin up to keep the airway open. You can also try lifting your chin and turning your head a little. For some it could be a blood pressure drop, but for me that isn't what is going on. If you haven't had one, you might need to get a sleep study. I had one, but I didn't need a machine. I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck.

I also get these symptoms, but usually only when something has aggravated my illness (eg exercise or lack of rest) or during full-blown exacerbations of my illness. So far, I've always been able to ease these symptoms by using the usual approaches - rest, laying flat, fluids and salt. My neck soreness has been stopped by regular treatments by my neurological physiotherapist and cranial osteopath - I see my therapists only for preventative care now.

My chest discomfort and breathing problems have also been relieved by Lexapro, although I don't tolerate it well or for long.

With best wishes

Dianne

Thanks for the advice and for letting me know I'm not alone. A couple of weeks ago, when things were really bad, I think my bp was dropping when I lay down, but now it does sound like something more mechanical. Simmy - why would there be esophageal constriction?

If anyone figures this out, please let me know!

As with CPR, you want your head tilted back to open the airway completely. The closer your chin is to your chest the more you close your airway. A neck pillow (or some sort) helps to keep your head and chest in proper alignment. That may not be the case in this situation, but it could contribute.

As mentioned before - there could also be an obstuction - like sleep apena. I agree, sometimes I can't lie on my back because my bp does drop out. There are times that I have to sleep sitting almost up to keep my pressure up. I also have the apenea and even with a CPAP - sometimes that's not enough - I have to remain inclined. Not alone in this one.