Does Anyone Else Have Hand Tremors?

abetterjulie

Hi,

I have developed fine tremors of the fingers of my hands, especially my thumbs. Does anyone else have this?

Thanks,

Julie

Hey Better Julie-

Yes, my son has this. He was just DXed with Essential Tremor- seems like quite a few here have it. Not sure how or if it relates to the dysautonomia. Hope others will chime in!

Worse Julie :P

Welcome Julie,

Yes, I have tremors too. They are mostly on one side of my body and my head. Before my POTS diagnosis - they thought I had Parkinson's, then they thought it was multiple system atrophy. But now it's POTS. Still don't know what causes them. It is very frustrating and sometimes worse than other times. Can't really tell you what to do for them, but there are some of us with this as a symptom.

Issie

I have hand tremors. They get worse when I'm more tired than usual or when I'm in a hurry to get something done. Wish there was an easy fix but haven't come up with one yet!

Brye

I've had hand tremors since I was a teenager. I remember my mom asking me why my hands were shaking way back then although I never noticed it myself. It got significantly worse after I had surgery 3 years ago and that, along with the rapid HR, was what got me put on beta-blockers... long before I ever knew anything about POTS.

It's still definitely worse some days than others.

Yes, I have hand tremors.

Like others have said there is many different tremors.

I guess one could say that I too have multiple varieties of tremors. My main tremor is an Essential Tremor- for me it is a Familial (or genetic) Essential Tremor. But, much of all my symptoms have some genetic link or origin. The tremor was also my "first" obvious symptom, first treated, and sometimes one of my most impairing of accomplishing tasks. It isn't very noticeable until I try to do anything with a heavy object or need fine motor skills. I too learned when the dr. said something by mistake that they too thought originally that I had Parkinson's. The tremor originates in the same place in the brain.

One of my other tremors (which could also sometimes be called an exacerbation of the ET) is an Orthostatic Tremor. This is like when I stand for a long time especially with heavy backpack on and my legs go crazy tremoring. Also, can get with holding heavy loads to long with arms, or holding a position too long. Also, I have gotten for hours or a whole day that super annoying thumb tremor. It has a mind of its own. It is not as fine of a tremor as the normal ET. It is very bouncy or ballistic and I think it has a higher frequency that the normal ET as well. I have gotten the thumb tremor normally after being on the computer for a long period or some other constant stress on the stretch receptors of that region that seem to just make the tremor go berserk.

None of the tremors are supposed to be bad, just annoying. And there is not a lot that can be done. You can try meds etc. They help me some, but not a lot. I take Primidone. It took me 3 months to work up to the dose that would be best, and it was absolutely an awful transition period. I don't suggest this med except as one of the last things to try. If I ever have to work my way off of it, there is no way I will work my way back up on it.

Tremors are not fun! And even though there is something for others to see with a tremor, it doesn't really help. Others just think you are anxious or in drug withdrawal or something else far from the truth.

ajw4055- Nice job describing those other tremors you have. I get other types of tremors that seem similar to what you are describing but my brain wasn't cooperating with trying to describe them. They are all just really annoying!

Like ajw described, I also have a familial essential tremor but have developed an orthostatic tremor since POTS started which is probably due to the elevated norepinephrine levels. The carvedilol I take for my chest pain has really helped the tremors too. If I'm late for a dose, I start dropping things and knocking things over. Other helps for the orthostatic tremor is all of the things that help POTS (hydration, avoid stress, etc).

Like ajw described, I also have a familial essential tremor but have developed an orthostatic tremor since POTS started which is probably due to the elevated norepinephrine levels. The carvedilol I take for my chest pain has really helped the tremors too. If I'm late for a dose, I start dropping things and knocking things over. Other helps for the orthostatic tremor is all of the things that help POTS (hydration, avoid stress, etc).

I have a resting tremors that tends to move around, sometimes in my legs or my torso, ect. These tremors tend to be very fast. I also sometimes get an orthostatic tremor and drop things. I can't tell you how many dishes we go through, lol. Ive found a few things that help, but nothing truly stops it. It's annoying and uncomfortable, but I have just learned to live with it. There have been several posts on tremors that you might find helpful. Good luck and I hope you find something that helps.

Tremors are one of my worst symptoms. I was told a year ago it as an essential tremor. Back then it was just in my hands. I also was experiencing weakness in my arms with the tremors.

Over the past year they've gotten a lot worse and they've spread to all of my limbs. It takes very little to trigger them and has forced me to cut out most physical activity. It's been brutal because when it hits, it can either be just an annoyance or it's so pronounced I wipes me out and I have to go lay down until they calm down.

I suspect mine are tied to my Rapid Gastric Emptying. I think that when I start to get active, my digestive system somehow kicks into high gear. I think that's what's really driving my tremors. Hopefully a new GI Dr I've been referred to will be able to help me figure this one out.

I do notice they are worse after eating high-carb foods, sugars or not getting enough sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

tremors were one of my first symptoms, along with difficulty swallowing and difficulty holding my head up

How did they rule out Parkinson's or myasthenia gravis?

I am noticing that the tremors are worse after activity, but present all of the time. Last night I used my forearms to support my weight briefly, and then noticed that the tremor had extended to include that muscle as well.

tremors were one of my first symptoms, along with difficulty swallowing and difficulty holding my head up

How did they rule out Parkinson's or myasthenia gravis?

I am noticing that the tremors are worse after activity, but present all of the time. Last night I used my forearms to support my weight briefly, and then noticed that the tremor had extended to include that muscle as well.

I was initially diagnosed with Parkinson's and treated for it for 1 1/2 years. I continued to get worse on the treatment. Then she thought I had multiple system atrophy. With that diagnosis - you get about 10 more years to live. That's when I went to Mayo and was told none of those diagnosis applied, but that I have POTS. When I got off the Parkinson's medicine - Lexapro and Wellbutrin - because I couldn't tolerate Sinement. I started getting some better. I do believe that I have the hyper form of POTS and the Wellbutrin made me a whole lot worse. They tried me on Minodrine (sp) which is used for Myastaenia Gravis and I didn't do well with that either.

The way they check for Parkinson's is on the side that the tremors are the worse - they check to see how your wrist moves. If while being distracted, it is a mechanical ratchet type movement and all the other symptoms fall into place - then it's assumed to be Parkinsons. There is really no type of definitive test. Mostly observation. Also, most people get a real solum face and barely smile or have expression. In my case this never happened. She couldn't explain it - (because I didn't have Parkinson's).

Because I do have severe muscle weakness and tremors (legs, arms, hands and head. I also have times where my legs/feet won't pick up - like I'm stuck in place), I'm still not sure that POTS explains it all. But, Parkinson's sure didn't. My tremors have gotten better and are really allot worse when under stress. Also, certain types of lights will make them worse. I was checked for seizure activity and that wasn't found either. I also have real bad muscle spasams and spascity. So, for now - I check it off as another POTS symptom. (If I were diagnosising myself - I'd say my symptoms are more like MS than either of the other two. I do know that there are some people with MS and POTS.)