What Think You Of This Machine?

There was a discussion on this board earlier about what type of exercise machine was best for POTSies, a discussion that evolved mostly into an argument about rowers vs recumbent bikes.

I was searching for any type of equipment I could afford and came across this thing, originally on Ebay. It's a combination recumbent bike/rowing machine. Sounds awesome, in theory, but I'm not sure how well it would work in actuality, and I can't really afford to take a chance on a $600 piece of equipment right now. I looked around for reviews, but couldn't find enough to feel comfortable buying from reviews alone.

What think y'all? It's a great idea, at any rate. Anybody know of a place that might sell equipment like this, so I could try one out for myself?

How about a Total Gym? I love it, you can get a great upper and lower body workout laying down on the bench. And the good part is as you get stronger, you elevate the back and put yourself on more of an angle. I mentioned it to Dr. Grubb last week at my 2nd visit and he said it was a great idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Gym-21300-4-18...4888&sr=1-4

Frank

I think the rower/recum. bike looks great in theory but I understand your hesitation...big price tag. I too agree that the reviews are mixed and would be cautious about spending so much on a piece of equipment that was not good quality nor produced the result I was looking for...good luck on your search :P

Rowing is one of the best overall body exercises you can do, but it's also one of the most difficult. We thought about getting several different machines before deciding on a treadmill with an incline. We got a Pro-Form 690 LT and love it. I also have osteoporosis issues, so the body weight exercises (walking, etc) help with your bone strength, too. There are bars on the treadmill, so if you have balance issues like I do, you can use your machine to work on that, but have bars to grab onto if needed. You can also find a decent one on Amazon or a used one for around $4-600.

Let us know what you decide, and good luck.

Jana

Its a long shot but here in NE Ohio we have a yahoo group called http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreeReCyclingCleveland/

its a yahoo group where you can post something you will GIVE away for free, and you can post that you WANT/NEED something for free. When I dont have use for something or the kids outgrow something I post it and people reply and come and get it. Maybe there is a yahoo FreeReCycle group near you? Post your illness and need for a bike, there are alot of nice people out there, who knows maybe someone has a used one just sitting around collecting dust.

Craigslist.com is another great site! Unlike ebay the people live near you.

Another idea that I did was I joined a new fitness center opening up all over called Fitness 19. Here is there Georgia locations:

http://www.fitness19.com/locations.aspx?state=GA

They have VERY low monthly memberships, I pay 9.00 a month. There was an initial membership fee but you pay 9.00 a month forever after that. They have recombant bikes. I have been going 3 days a week for 4 months now and I really like it. I have been working on my legs using the leg press and two other leg machines that you sit while using and I really have noticed a difference. Legs are inportant as the more muscle mass you have the better blood is pumped back up and doesnt pool. Also I added my kids, who go with me, and I pay only 7 a month each for them. They let me add a non family member after that at 5.00 a month. Maybe if you find someone who is going you can be added on to their membership and pay them, thats what my kids and their friend do on my membership. Plus when you have a buddy you have the inititive to really do it and someone to drive when you don't feel well.

Kim

Well, rowers are generally the best all-around cardiac exercise you can get, but yeah sometimes my back just won't let me. Recumbent bikes are great for us POTSIES, me especially. Getting a device that could be both would be awesome. And best of all, I could put it in front of the TV so I'd have something to keep the boredom at bay while I'm using it. Heck, I could probably play video games while operating it in bike mode. And I could place it right on top of one of the AC vents.

My mom has a treadmill, but the second the temperature hit the 70s I had to stop using it. Right now I'm stuck with weightlifting in short bursts....it's the only thing I can do where I don't overheat. Gyms are out for me since I can't drive, and besides gyms generally keep the temp pretty warm.

KeXia,

I bought a recumbent bike and love it. I also have a treadmill, but it's much more difficult.

I looked up your machine on Bing. You can get it for 15% off, or $509 and free shipping. You make your purchase, wait (I think 30 days) and you get the 15% in a check. I've make some major purchases this way before. No problems.

I think the link I posted was from Amazon, so it would be returnable.

Thanks for the Bing suggestion l4a, I'll look into that.