Pcos & Pots - Does Anyone Have These Together Or Ever Had Pcos?

Have any of you had PCOS before or with POTS?

I had my Mirena out a couple of months ago and I am fairly certain I did not have PCOS before it was put in. I had no related symptoms and my (great) Gyno at the time would likely have noticed anything out of the ordinary.

A few months into Mirena my cycles stopped. This usually happens to a certain percent of women after about a year on it. I also gained a lot of weight (40+ pounds, mostly in my middle and some in my behind and I never really gain weight in my middle), had cystic acne bad enough to send me to the Dermatologist, and weird facial hair here and there. Yuck!

It's been almost three months since the Mirena removal and I'm back on the pill, and my cystic acne has stopped cold turkey, my crazy hairs have significantly designed, and, while I've only lost a few pounds, I look less bloated.

I read about PCOS and it affects up to 10% of women and the usual first treatment is the pill, which I am now on.

I assume if it was a POTS thing, I would've had it act up before Mirena...that's why I'm wondering if it's Mirena and NOT POTS that caused it. :angry: I hate the weight gain and am working on that, but at this point I don't know if I really want to deal with going to my Gyno until I see if the pill helps more and I start losing weight. Does anyone know how they 'look 'for PCOS? Is there something obvious, if that makes sense?

POTS does seem to cause a lot of hormonal issues, though, and I want to try to keep things under control.

I know of another POTS person who has PCO too. I think hormonal issues go along w/ POTS issues. I on the other hand had too much estrogen and endometrosis. With PCO the testerone is too high. I don't know about the Mirana, what type of meds are in that (if any) but PCO is caused by hormone imbalance and some feel a problem with insulin metabolism. They also treat it with Diabetic type drugs and if you do have PCO, it's important to get the blood sugar properties to working properly.

I have PCOS also, however I'm A typical in symptoms. My doctor noticed it on an ultrasound dye test when I was being checked as to why we were having difficulty getting pregnant. I think a lot of people who don't have POTS also have PCOS, so I doubt there is any connection between the two.

I think a lot of women have posted about having hormonal issues of one variety or another. My mom, who is a labor and delivery nurse said that one of her OB's told her that IBS, PCOS, and endometriosis were a trifecta of ailments that seemed to always go hand in hand. I am certainly guilty as charged. In sheer desperation I ended up opting to have an endometrial ablation and tubal ligation procedure. Giving up on the thought of ever having kids was tough, but I simple could not endure the misery I was subjected to for a week of every month any more. Being one of the lucky few who ceased having periods after my ablation, I am glad I made this decision. Whether or not this has anything to do with my POTS, who knows? Kind of a chicken or the egg type of question if you ask me!

Sandy

It's all interesting! I used to have Endometriosis. I think, someone, it has taken care of itself. I stayed on the pill for many years and it seemed to improve.

Although if I'm not on the pill my hormones go out of control and I can't stand the monthly cycle.

Mirena is supposed to be localized progesterone - but I think it affected me different. The way everything was acting it felt like my testosterone was too high on it. Now the cystic acne is gone and I'm less bloated, so I'm feeling more normal 3 months after its removal.

Sandy: I'm glad your ablation worked! I was thinking about that at one point...and I guess if I got that bad again (on top of POTS now!) I might have to reconsider. But it's good to know there's an option that CAN be successful.

Maybe I should get a basic hormone panel? I assume those are fairly easy to do?

I have PCO too...although I have basically been symptom-free for 12yrs now. I've been wondering if there is a connection since PCO seems to be correlated to insulin resistance, which affect lots of hormones (testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, FSH/LH) which is somehow connected to the adrenals...which I've read some folks speculating about POTS being connected too.

I was diagnosed with PCO 16yrs before I had any symptoms of POTS.

You can easily get a hormone panel done. I see a reproductive endocrinologist for PCO treatment. I know they look at your LH:FSH ratio which should be 1:1, and the free testosterone.

Best of luck, and please excuse the brain fog :-)