A New Strange Coping Technic Seems To Help Me

i noticed that whenever i am very tense and on the verge of getting an episode i can often stop the exploding symptoms by simply making myself cry. Its enough to just feel the tears still behind my eyes to calm my body down. Its not necessary for me to cry rivers. I tried this technic at work before and whenever its needed, i start to listen to an emotional song or think of a touching moment in order to feel my eyes fill with tears and on many occasions this calmed my system down quickly. Has anybody else ever experienced this? Whats happening in the body when we are crying that would help settle my ANS down? Please keep in mind that its not necessary for me to cry loads, iam just talking about being on the verge of crying (nobody can notice it except me). I already started to use this as a new coping technic for me. Thanks a lot for your replies.

Carinara

OK, this is something I noticed too. I never thought in a million years anyone else would mention this too because it IS so weird. I have found that if I cry some of the dizziness calms down. I looked it up a long time ago and I think when you cry there are certain natural steroids that are released... maybe this is what helps. OR for me, since I have ear problems, I thought maybe the crying which makes you kind of stuffy and then you blow your nose was helping getting rid of extra mucous, helping to clear the ears and helping the dizziness. It IS interesting.

Funny you should say that crying helps. I have the opposite effect. Crying brings out a mast cell response (or something?), whereby I'm more symptomatic, i.e. stuffy nose, runny eyes, than before. I actually try to avoid crying because it sets "off" this kind of allergic response.

I am glad that it works for you guys but I have to agree with futurehope, crying in facts brings on all my ANS symptoms and the reason for this is that my ANS is so hypersensitive that being excited, upset, angry, laughing, coughing or feeling sad all seems to over-activate and over-stimulate my system resulting in fevers, headaches, tachycardia. For me my best mode is Neutral for everything which is particularly hard when your a passionate person.

Endure, my system ia also very hypersensitive. I have written posts before where i described how any kind of stimulus sets my ANS off. Like you i always try to be as calm and relaxed in any sort of situation because any kind of tension no matter if its positive or negative make my symptoms flare up instantly. Its so hard because iam a very emotional person and cant meditate 24 hours a day.

Guest humanb4monitor

IF I found a job that payed me for crying, I would be a go-zillionare!

It whipps me. Causes huge fatigue.

WOW--if it wordks for some of you. ANYTHING that works. :lol:

I notice the strong urge to cry along with my symptoms-so it makes me think that maybe there is an imbalance in the serotonin levels or something of that nature. That the possible low levels put me into that instant state of despair, unbelievable urge to just burst out wailing and a depression that hangs over me.

Hmmm... interesting.... I'm not sure if its the same thing but I find that whenever I am in the midst of passing out...I start blubbering and I normally am not a cry-er. I thought maybe it was a bit of a panic response because I know I'm about to fall and can't stop it. Its just a sudden and overwhelming tearfulness. I wonder if crying is controlled by, or affects, the ans and maybe people react differently depending on whether they have too much or too little sympathetic activity.... <---- too tired to decide it that made any sense at all.....hopefully you know what I mean.... we all speak 'dysauto-nese' here don't we? 8 )