Pneumonia/Flu

goldicedance

I was sorry to hear that Leah has pneumonia. That brought some thoughts to me...

Have you all considered asking your doctor for a pneumonia vaccination that protects for up to 10 years?

Have you been able to get a flu shot? POTS certainly qualifies as a special condition requiring a flu shot.

Just some points to throw out to all of you POTsies in cyberspace!

I'm not sure about vaccines and everybody with POTS. My immune system has been pretty bad as stuff has gotten worse in the past couple of years. I had gotten the flu shot years ago and I think I was okay, but I did still get flu. Now doctors say I should not get any of those shots because my immune system isn't strong enough and they believe it could do more damage than good and make me really sick.

Right now I have been sick since August and just now getting treated due to the medical field not treating me. Anyhow, have to do 4 weeks of antibiotics, still running a temp, feeling horrible, fainting etc, etc.

My doctor says I am to avoid ALL busy places, places with crowds etc. to try to keep me away from too much exposure to germs and stress to my body. Still going places when people drive me, but just careful about the time of day and where I go.

Hey,

Thanks for noticing my post- your concern means a lot. I have not gotten any of the recent vaccinations because my neuro said that it would be bad for me. I think that might be accurate because I had to get a tetanus vaccine over the summer and I was very sick for more than a week with stiffness, fever, nausea, etc. and that is just tetanus. I do get a complication of some sort every time I get a cold, so I worry. I hope I do not also get the flu later, that would be awful. This was pretty lousy. I also still had to do all my school work, with a two week long fever and difficulty breathing and dizziness and so on. I was so mad! I was told pneumonia and acute bronchitis are going around in NY right now. I would suggest trying to take precautions like frequent handwashing and staying away from crowds when possible. No sharing of anything with people I guess. As a student in a major city, it is hard for me to avoid these extra illnesses though.

Leah

Guest tearose

I did get the flu shot. My internist does think I'm more "at risk" because dysautonomia makes everything harder to fight. I didn't get any bad reactions from the vaccine. I don' know why I didn't think to ask the doctor for a pneumonia vaccination. I guess he could have suggested it too! I'll ask what the recommendation is the next time I go ...thanks for the reminder that we all could benefit from these shots! Those that can withstand the shot that is. Like everything with us, we have to figure whether the "fix" is better or worse than the "problem".

Leah, I hope you are feeling better. How creative of you to have thought to bring things to do in the ER while waiting! best regards, tearose

I've had the pneumonia vaccine--which is great for viral pneumonia--but I've still gotten pneumonia since the shot due to bacteria and/or aspiration.

Nina

We had a thread going on this topic a little while ago. With the flu vaccine shortage, the CDC said that available doses should go to those at risk ... and I always thought that "people at risk" referred to the elderly and kids between 6 mos and 2 years who are at risk of dying due to complications of the illness (not those at risk of getting sick due to depressed [suppressed?] immune systems). I think people like us tend generally to suffer more when we get sick with colds, flu, and all the rest ... but we will heal, and we will live! So I guess we do what we can--keep those hands washed, demand the same from those with whom we live, and avoid crowds! (I carry antibacterial gel in my purse now, and try to use it throughout the day--but always after coming in contact with doorknobs, revolving doors, elevator buttons and after exchanging money at a store. I'm trying not to be too weird about it, but I hate getting sick!)

We had a thread going on this topic a little while ago. With the flu vaccine shortage, the CDC said that available doses should go to those at risk ... and I always thought that "people at risk" referred to the elderly and kids between 6 mos and 2 years who are at risk of dying due to complications of the illness (not those at risk of getting sick due to depressed [suppressed?] immune systems). I think people like us tend generally to suffer more when we get sick with colds, flu, and all the rest ... but we will heal, and we will live! So I guess we do what we can--keep those hands washed, demand the same from those with whom we live, and avoid crowds! (I carry antibacterial gel in my purse now, and try to use it throughout the day--but always after coming in contact with doorknobs, revolving doors, elevator buttons and after exchanging money at a store. I'm trying not to be too weird about it, but I hate getting sick!)

Actually, when I was in the hospital a few weeks ago for dehydration and all around POTS misery, my pulmonologist thought indeed I qualified for a flu shot and the hospital so provided it. We all get so much worse when we are down with the flu that we should and do qualify as at risk. Anyway, we all do what is right for us based upon past experience and doctor's advice.

Goldie