Raising Head The Bed

TXPOTS

My husband bought me bed raisers (8 inches) to raise the head of the bed. I doubt simply sleeping on a bed wedge would do much because one's legs are still flat. Has anyone here actually tried to sleep with the whole bed elevated? Any improvement in symptoms? It makes sense that this would improve orthostatic tolerance since the Trendelenberg position (feet higher than head) induces orthostatic intolerance in healthy folks. Of course, I am still skeptical since a regular, vigorous exercise program has not alleviated my POTS to the point that I can lead a half way normal life. In fact, I acquired POTS as an extremely, active exercise maniac. However, I am willing to try anything as long as I do not worsen my POTS symptoms. Thoughts on this topic?

Hi, I posted about this subject a few weeks ago,

I have seen some improvements since raising the head of my bed by 6 inches ,

I believe it takes some time to work and read someones elses post who claimed it cured her orthostatic hypotention , so its worth a try !

I believe it takes some time to work and read someones elses post who claimed it cured her orthostatic hypotention , so its worth a try !

Mirry, do you feel like you're sliding out of the bottom of the bed all night long? This thought has kept me from trying it.

Thanks Mirry,

I'll go back and run a search for your responses. I don't know why I didn't think of that first. Can I blame it on brain fog?

OK... now, I'm really losing my marbles. I even responded to your post!!!! I was thinking about doing the same at the time.

Anyone else have good results?

I don't understand the part about the legs being flat if your upper torso is elevated. I sleep on 25 in by 25 in pillows (Martha Stewart at Macy's) under my regular pillows which brings angle of incline to between 25 and 30 degrees from rib cage up. It's helped GERD and may have helped other symptoms but I was trying a lot so can;t be sure. I would be hesitate to do anything that hurt my sleep and a full body incline made me have those jerk awake attacks in the past - it may not have been a good trial and I may just be leery of anything interfering with my sleep. Having an adjustable air bed may be the reason I can't see how the feet stay flat - I don't know.

I'll be interested in if it helps you and how it affects the nonPotsy spouse.

I tried them, but lasted maybe an hour on them. Since I have blood pooling in my legs and feet, it wasn't good for me. Now I do use a wedge and add additional pillows on top. I've found the wedge to be very helpful. I'm sleeping through the night and not waking myself up to get my heart rate up. I do have apena and have to use a CPAP, and find that I'm tolerating that better too.

It's made all the difference for me. When I lean forward or when I'm laying flat I feel like I'm being choked, and also feel like my head is filling with fluid. Since I've raised my bed 6" those symptoms have gove away. Good luck I hope you find something that works for you.

I don't understand the part about the legs being flat if your upper torso is elevated. I sleep on 25 in by 25 in pillows (Martha Stewart at Macy's) under my regular pillows which brings angle of incline to between 25 and 30 degrees from rib cage up. It's helped GERD and may have helped other symptoms but I was trying a lot so can;t be sure. I would be hesitate to do anything that hurt my sleep and a full body incline made me have those jerk awake attacks in the past - it may not have been a good trial and I may just be leery of anything interfering with my sleep. Having an adjustable air bed may be the reason I can't see how the feet stay flat - I don't know.

I'll be interested in if it helps you and how it affects the nonPotsy spouse.

This is heresay, but one of Dr. Levine's patients told me he said isn't very helpful to just raise your torso. He is the electrophysiologist who studied orthostatic intolerance for NASA and is about to publish the exercise study protocol in POTS. To get the full benefit, I am just guessing you would want your entire body at an angle, unless the majority of your pooling is just in your abdomen. I am sure many of us aren't able to tolerate the full tilt though. I bought a bed wedge because I thought this would provide some benefit. I know what you mean about not interfering with sleep. If I do not get a full night's rest, I am a useless POTSy blob the next day.

I tried them, but lasted maybe an hour on them. Since I have blood pooling in my legs and feet, it wasn't good for me. Now I do use a wedge and add additional pillows on top. I've found the wedge to be very helpful. I'm sleeping through the night and not waking myself up to get my heart rate up. I do have apena and have to use a CPAP, and find that I'm tolerating that better too. One thing that is helping me to sleep better, is I'm taking a pain pill, Tramadol and a muscle relxr, Bentyl. Getting out of pain seems to be a help too. I couldn't take them by themselves, they would bring on the POTS attack. I don't know why the combination is working. Oh well, whatever works and gives us more quality of life --Right!!!

Issie.-

You are right about sleeping through the night. It probably plays into my pain decreasing along with the exercise increase.

I am wondering if those of us with pooling in out feet and legs would not do as well and those with more respiratory symptoms might find it worth a go.

I raised my bed for a few weeks and didn't notice any difference in symptoms. It made sleeping extremely uncomfortable for me though. I'd wake up and find myself scooting further down the bed! haha I dunno if it was because I was sliding down or if my body just naturally wanted to get lower to feel more comfortable. After a while I just told my husband to take the raisers out so I could finally get a good night of sleep. :unsure:

I think it's worth trying though because some people find it really helpful!