Fatty Liver Disease

i just saw this description of a research study showing a correlation between non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and autonomic dysfunction: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20460914. The researchers have published a few articles on this correlation. I found it interesting because my son's CT scans and other studies repeatedly show fatty liver disease. Since he doesn't drink, doesn't eat much fat, and is thin as a stick (due to his Crohn's disease), we always found this puzzling. Some doctors suggested to us that NAFLD is really a type of inflammation of the liver, and that this might be consistent with an auto-immune process underlying our son's disease. These researchers now see a possible link to autonomic dysfunction.

The article doesn't produce any new therapies, but it could be yet another step on the road to understanding. Have others been told they have "fatty livers"? If so, you may find this interesting.

Thanks my GI told me in 1979 ,(you read that right) to eat low fat to avoid fatty liver. That because

I already had fibrosis. I went from a size eight to a 4 in like two months, so he eased up. My ultra sounds look good. Do you know if fatty liver shows on ultra sounds?

Thanks for bringing this up! I was just diagnosed with an enlarged liver and a high AST, but need more testing to see what's going on. I'll bring this up at my next gastro appt.

That's interesting. I just had a pelvic CT scan that showed I have multiple hyperdense areas on my liver, presumed to be cysts. My serum liver values are all fine though. I've always had issues with my hormones and hormones are processed through the liver so I figure it's important to support the liver. Which I may not be doing enough of. I wonder what fatty liver would show up as on CT also?

Yes, I have fatty liver also. I also have a tumor on my liver that I was told was caused by hormones. I was using the transdermal, natural hormones, but only occasionally. I don't feel like I was using them enough to cause the tumor of which they said was caused by hormones. Since I had a complete hysterectomy at age 36 and I'm now 50. That just doesn't make sense to me. I also have a tumor on a kidney, my thyroid and brain. I think, from what I'm reading, tumors can go along with POTS. I am overweight, but don't believe the liver issue is related. I don't drink either and I do support my liver with Milk Thistle. For some reason, though, Mayo wasn't too happy with my use of Milk Thistle. I feel like it's possibly kept my liver from getting worse. I was told when I was 23 that my liver wasn't detoxing properly. This has to go along with the POTS. I'm not sure how--but there must be a connection. How do we find out if an autoimmune issue is involved?

My last 2 abdominal ultrasounds have shown up fatty liver deposits. I don't drink and am certainly not overweight so my doctor kind of blew them off. Several friends (without ANS issues that I know of) have been told the same thing about their livers. The only common denominator they all had was using SSRI or SNRI meds. Haven't been able to find anything in the literature about that connection though.

My last 2 abdominal ultrasounds have shown up fatty liver deposits. I don't drink and am certainly not overweight so my doctor kind of blew them off. Several friends (without ANS issues that I know of) have been told the same thing about their livers. The only common denominator they all had was using SSRI or SNRI meds. Haven't been able to find anything in the literature about that connection though.

Anything we take into our bodies, unless it's transdermal (through the skin) has to processed through the liver. There is the potential for damage there. I know hormones can affect the liver and I know pain meds (especially Tylenol) can affect the liver. So, it would stand to reason that SSRI and SNRI could potentially affect the liver. I wonder if they've ever done testing to see how much meds can cause a fatty liver or damage. That's why I use the Milk Thistle, it helps your liver regenerate and helps it to detox better. A friend of mine who has an illness that causes liver damage, this is his main plan for repair and protection of his liver. He's doing well with it.

Milk thistle most definetly does support liver function . Clinical trials (mostly In Germany ) show this.

Detoxification ability is increased (supported). Medication levels can be effected during use.

I'm pretty sure no med would cause fatty liver, liver damage yes. But that is fibrosis.

Sympathic stimulation in the liver causes increased conversion of

glycogen to glucose and since glucose is sugar (I AM GUESSING) bingo -stored as fat.

The liver will store fat and/or iron. Perhaps other things aswell.

P.S. issie, if your freind has liver damage, it behoves him to reduce the workload of the liver.

I just had a liver scan done at Miami University and don't have a fatty liver, no liver damage. I have had pots for almost five years now but have recently have been dx with hepitis c. Since my liver is doing well so far the dr is just going to keep an eye on my liver. I have a liver enzyme problem so he doesn't want to give me any milk thistle which is what they use for this condition.

Maggie

Milk thistle most definetly does support liver function . Clinical trials (mostly In Germany ) show this.

Detoxification ability is increased (supported). Medication levels can be effected during use.

I'm pretty sure no med would cause fatty liver, liver damage yes. But that is fibrosis.

Sympathic stimulation in the liver causes increased conversion of

glycogen to glucose and since glucose is sugar (I AM GUESSING) bingo -stored as fat.

The liver will store fat and/or iron. Perhaps other things aswell.

P.S. issie, if your freind has liver damage, it behoves him to reduce the workload of the liver.

I'm talking about myself, mostly. Mayo told me to quite using transdermal hormones. They said I have a liver tumor that is significant for hormones. Since I've only used transdermal ones, I doubt they are the cause. Because anything used on the skin goes into the blood stream and the liver doesn't have to process it. If it's taken orally, your liver does process it. I'm a naturalist, I don't like to take any kinds of meds. I'm real into vitamins, herbs etc. I didn't understand why Mayo, didn't like me taking the Milk Thistle. I feel like this has probably protected my liver from being more damaged. I also have fatty liver and eat organic and very healthy. I am over weight though, but I doubt it's a contibutor to the fatty liver and tumor. I think due to the dysfunction of our bodies, our livers and other organs are not functioning properly. If our autonomic nerveous system is out of balance, this can cause our organs to malfunction also. I liked the idea of the glucose issues. Since allot of people are insulin resistant, even skinny people. that could be a part of the problem. I've been checked for hemochromotosis (too much iron in the blood) This can damage the liver and the treatment for it is no red meat, beer or alchol and milk thistle. My friend, that I spoke of earlier, has this conditiion. It does run in my family, but I don't have it. Thank Goodness!!!!