24 Hour Urine Test--refrigerate??

I was told by the lab tech that my daughters 24 hour urine did NOT have to be refrigerated. This is contrary to everything I have read. Have any of you had this done for POTS and did you need to refrigerate it? My daughter already thinks this is the most ridiculous test--I don't know what she would say if I told her she had to do it over!

I am a bit untrusting as I was also told by the people that are going to do the catecholamine test in the endocrinology lab that she could continue taking her beta blocker, but the dr. said not for 2 days before. Sure am glad I asked instead of getting a false reading and having to retest!!

I was told by the lab tech that my daughters 24 hour urine did NOT have to be refrigerated. This is contrary to everything I have read. Have any of you had this done for POTS and did you need to refrigerate it? My daughter already thinks this is the most ridiculous test--I don't know what she would say if I told her she had to do it over!

I am a bit untrusting as I was also told by the people that are going to do the catecholamine test in the endocrinology lab that she could continue taking her beta blocker, but the dr. said not for 2 days before. Sure am glad I asked instead of getting a false reading and having to retest!!

Brigham & Women's had me refrigerate mine. You can easily do it on your end, but if the lab sends this out & doesn't continue refrigeration- it was for nought. If they do it "in-house" and don't refrigerate, they better do it immediately. Have the ordering doctor or his/her nurse- educate the lab to clear this up.

I Just took one about 2 weeks ago the same one your daughter is having done they ordered a 5-hiaa and they checked catecholamine, nor-ephinephrine, dopamine, metanephrines, ephinephrine levels. I was instructed to keep this urine in the fridge at all times!! I even bought a bag of ice to transport it back to the lab to keep it cool while it was in my car. You have to keep that urine cool at all times. As soon as I got to the lab in the Hospital they immediately took it from me and placed it in the fridge. I did mine at home and kept it in the fridge as instructed by the lab and doctor. I also was told it must be brought back the very next day to be sent off for testing.

I guess I better ask the doctor!! Thanks for your responses!! Personally, the thought of a jug of urine sitting at room temperature for 24 hours is NOT very appealing to me. Not that keeping it in my refrigerator is either, though!! :P But, I'd rather have an accurate test!

....the thought of a jug of urine sitting at room temperature for 24 hours is NOT very appealing....
My POTSY jugs of urine keep for a few days before turning nasty... they're clear like water and don't "ferment" as quickly as normal-person urine. Being male, I have luxury of not stumbling to the bathroom constantly in dealing with my periodic POTS fluid dumping phases. Doesn't even taste that bad... if you accidentally mix up a beverage container for an "outgoing" container. Half-asleep brain-fog state is not good :) I keep them color coded and well segregated now! (Sorry, couldn't pass up a childish male opportunity to "gross out" the ladies ;)

Mine don't smell either and are almost as clear as water. But after 8 24 hour collections, I have been told to refrigerate them every time. I'd rather go to the extra trouble than get an incorrect result.

Just as an aside, for the ladies: I have found that a large, plastic measuring cup with a handle works great for collection. It is easy to hold and um, maneuver down there and has a spout to pour into the jug. Just don't mix it up and use it for cooking later! :(

Sorry Erik, but any of us ladies whom have had children are not grossed out. We can change a diaper and bake brownies at the same time! Of course we wash our hands in between. :)

I did over 10 24-hr urine tests while I was at Mayo (several tests were done in one bottle, at times). I didn't refrigerate any of them because they had put preservative in each bottle. The preservative keeps the urine the same way refrigeration would keep it, at least that's what their lab tech informed me when I asked.

I've done two 24 hours tests. One needed refrigeration so I set up a big cooler with ice in my bathroom. I was NOT going to put urine in my frig.

The one at the Mayo did not need refrigeration. It has some nasty smelling preservative in it. I suppose they had to do it that way since most people at the Mayo stay in hotels and don't have frigs.

I would double check with the lab because collecting urine is a pain, especially if you want to go somewhere. If the jug was completely empty, no smell, then I would suspect it may need refrigeration.

When I first got to the Mayo, I saw all these people walking around with plastic bags that say Mayo on them, and I thought, wow, I can't believe how popular the gift shop here is. Then I got my "gift bag" with my jug in it and realized all those people were lugging urine around all day.