Emotion Free Life???

I wrote here before that any kind of emotions (positive and negative ones) are a big trigger for my POTS symptoms to flare up. I pointed out how "big emotional events" make me very sick but today i would like to ask you for some advice on how "little everyday emotional stuff" effects me and if anybody can relate.

1.) POSITIVE EMOTIONS: :

Whenever something touches me and causes me to get goosbumps like for example a nice song, a deep conversation with a friend or a emotional movie, wishing someone a happy birthday and so on....the feeling of getting goosbumbs gets so intense that it hurts me, it feels as if an electric shock goes through my body and reloads itself in my head, its really painfull.

2.) NEGATIVE EMOTIONS: :

Whenever i get a little tense because of for example: today i witnessed a conversation at work, where a coworker screamed at another one or whenever i see that somebody is not being treated right, i immediately get this feeling of not being able to breathe right. It feels as if my lungs get tide and i have to breath against resistance. After them sort of situations it takes a while for my body to settle down again.( Sometimes a few minutes sometimes a few hours).... I noticed lately that my stimulation barrier seems to get lower and lower. Today for example i wanted to give some free music cds away to some coworkers and the little excitment about giving them a present stopped me doing it because i could feel my body react. So what i did was tell them that i plan on giving them some cd's sometime next week... Now they know and now i dont have to worry about their any my excitemend anymore because its not a surprise to them now. I used to love surprises and i used to love discussions. What happened???? Can anybody relate to the goosbumps and the breathing difficulties? What ist the cause of these symptoms especially the breathing thing?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Carinara

I seem to have this same problem.

It seems a little better than it was but not totally resolved.

I think we're just hypersensitive to stimuli.

I am really thinking more about trying to take something for my nerves on a routine basis and seeing if this doesn't improve my condition overall.

Wow, if that were only really possible. The best I can do at least for me is to have learned how to slow down my breathing, and having practiced yoga, it helps me to try to get a bit meditative and calm myself. Doesn't always work, nor is it even always possible, but it helps sometimes.

For me, any large emotion, happy or otherwise, provokes symptoms.

Nina

I can relate to both of those in my own way. When my POTS is bad i seem over responsive to all stimuli - good and bad, nice or stressful.

I think its just part of the sympathetic excess.

There was a study that found a subset of POTS patients that went hypertensive to stressful stimuli - they think its because of long term elevated stress hormones reducing the responsiveness of beta 2 receptors.

Wow I can relate! I have been going down hill since a stressful event happened in my family at the end of March...I am still not "right" and I feel very discouraged. I was doing better and then a negative, stressful event turned it all around...ugh!

I don't seem to get set back from happy or positive emotions or events those seem to help actually -- maybe more tired but with good sleep I recover quickly. I have been trying to figure out a way to avoid or react differently to stressful situations...any ideas ? :)