Oh And Nmh

miranda

I have both OH and NMH as well but no N has ever been able to tell me why. In the initial stage I know, or think I know, which is happening to me. I think from what has happened over the past years, that one can follow the other. Whatever the case both OH and NMH force me to lie down till the episode passes, then get up and move slowly and with great caution.

A man was here this a.m. to check that the fire alarm was working. It made me think that I could never move fast enough to get out of this condo if there were to be an emergency and my 2 contacts weren't here in the building.

Mary P

Hi Mary , I can always tell which is OH or NMH

I have fainted with both , but when I fainted with OH

I stood up and blacked out with no warning.

when I fainted with NMH , I felt sweaty , sick, shakey, vision went and a high pitch noise in my ears.

The NMH is worse cos it feels so bad to me.

Hi Mirry,

The only difference I have noticed is that NMH (when I stand for a while) can cause me to feel I'm going to faint quicker than OH does (when I get up and move too fast).... or maybe not. I don't really know. I never let myself faint because I lie down wherever I am. I think the nausea happens faster and BP drops quicker with NMH. I've only once been able to grab the BP cuff to take any readings with NMH. I need to wear it all the time so I can use it when needed...under such episodes. Of course, this is impossible.

The thing is whatever the case, this crazy ANS dysfunction really disrupts our lives. Still, I feel I'm so much better off than most people on this forum.

Take care and I hope someone can answer your question.

Mary P

I'm officially losing it. I read the title not thinking abbreviations and was thinking it was going to be about some weird doctor response. OHHHHHH! NMHHHHHHH! It only took me a few sentences to figure it out!

Continue on!

Brye

Brye, dont worry I often think "oh NMH" when a episode starts ,lol.

Actually its nice meeting others with the same diagnosis as me .

My worse situation is shopping and standing in line ,

I get anxiety knowing I might pass out and of course this makes it more likely.

I have episodes daily and as my neurologist said to me .....

"This disorder totally knocks your confidence"

How true !

Good morning to all,

I haven't been able to shop or stand in line or stand at church for 3 years now.,,,or talk to anyone I may meet when I go for a short walk, etc, etc. I have to sit on a huge chair to work at the kitchen counter. I have on 2 occasions gone to a store when I'm being pushed in a transport chair. I have to have this when I go to a hospital as well.

What do you take for the orthostatic hypotension? I've taken Apo-Midodrine or Apo-Amatine but the drug company no longer makes them available to Canadians. I have only a few left and worry about what will happen to me when I no longer have any?

Blood pooling in legs is certainly a common symptom. There are more but my mind won't let me think sbout what they are. I think that decline of memory is another. The N asked me in Feb, 2010 if my memory was being effected. It is.

mary

Mary , is that drug for raising blood pressure ? I have been offered fludro but decided against it for now because I read people saying it stopped working for them. I was told this is a life long problem, so no rush to try it, lol.

I am on a small dose of beta blockers (20mg am & pm) , and take sodium tablets.

• 3 weeks later...
....with OH

....with NMH , I felt sweaty , sick, shakey, vision went and a high pitch noise in my ears.

I've never been able to decipher the "medical definitions" but your personal description matches my personal description too! The OH for me is like an "instant drop upon standing" whereas the NMH seems like the "steady escelation of sympathetic overstimulation followed by a crash" and near-syncope.

....with OH

....with NMH , I felt sweaty , sick, shakey, vision went and a high pitch noise in my ears.

I've never been able to decipher the "medical definitions" but your personal description matches my personal description too! The OH for me is like an "instant drop upon standing" whereas the NMH seems like the "steady escelation of sympathetic overstimulation followed by a crash" and near-syncope.

This seems to describe my experience too. I've never fainted with either, but with OH it comes on very suddenly with my vision blacking out. I can usually pretend to keep functioning to some degree if I just squat down or bend over. OH seems to strike when I change positions too fast. NHM seems to hit when I stand for a bit without keeping my legs moving somehow. With NMH, I feel awful and all I can think of is I REALLY HAVE TO LIE DOWN NOW! Takes longer to feel ok after a NMH episode too.

Lack of blood to the brain seems to be the underlying cause in both but it's interesting that they present so differently- in my body at least.

Just notised the replys again , I am so pleased because I dont feel so alone when I read your stories.

Other troubling symptoms I get daily are ...

palpatations and difficulty walking straight without feeling off balanced and dizzy,

Maybe this is the lack of blood to the brain.

Do any of you manage to work ? I can not work due to all these symptoms , it has certainly changed my life.

Just notised the replys again , I am so pleased because I dont feel so alone when I read your stories.

Other troubling symptoms I get daily are ...

palpatations and difficulty walking straight without feeling off balanced and dizzy,

Maybe this is the lack of blood to the brain.

Do any of you manage to work ? I can not work due to all these symptoms , it has certainly changed my life.

Mirry- I was off work for 9 months after my last crash. I'm able to work half days now but only 2-3 days a week. I'm excited to be doing that much at least but it still feels to me that I'm being a slacker compared to "before".

When I was doing poorly for those 9 months, I was having lots of palpitations. I'd also find myself falling into walls and tipping over when I'd turn corners or try to turn around in the shower. Prior to getting sick, I taught yoga and could stand in pretzel shapes on one foot for long periods of time so it was pretty depressing to find myself walking like a drunk sailor just on level ground. :(

Here's hoping that sometime in the near future you'll start feeling better a little at a time too.

When I started the Midodrine a few months ago my palpitations seemed to be greatly reduced. Or maybe it was the H1 and H2 blockers that I started around the same time. I just know they're better which if REALLY nice.

Thank for this info. I've wondered if they were just different names for the same thing and I wasn't able to find information that really cleared it up for me. After reading what you have mentioned I think I fall more into the NMH category because I get that really sick feeling and feel like a immediately need to lie down. I usually get some sort of warning. However, twice in the last year I did come very close to fainting and it seemed to come on quickly without much warning.

Chaos , you have taken my breath away with your description of feeling drunk , and tipping over when turning corners - omg thats me !!! You are the first person to describe this to me and I was always told this sensation is caused by my migraines. Now I think the low blood pressure is the cause of all these feelings.

Thank you so much x.

kerrilyn , You may have NMH if you feel ill when it happens ,

I find I feel so ill I think I am dying , I can feel my heart slow right down and sometimes it feels like it stops.

Its strange how some of us have daily symptoms and others have it less often , I wonder why this would be ?