I Can't Stop Falling!

Hello,

I came down with bronchitis around March 3rd. The really bad kind. It took 3 rounds of antibiotics and an inhaler to make it manageable. During that time, I started having my "dropping" spells. I had warning, knew what was coming and had time to get down. As time progressed, I started dropping, sometimes passing out, without warning. My husband has found me on the floor a couple of times, and I dropped in public once. This is new for me. My worst fall was two weeks ago. I fell down some big steps and onto a sidewalk. I had bruised knees, gravel embedded in my palms and terrible back and neck pain. Thank Goodness I didn't get majorly hurt. I do have a funny little hard bump on my knee, not sure what it is...

So today I tumbled down the steps. They are carpeted, and there are only 7. But this is getting so old! I thought since the bronchitis is trying to resolve my symptoms would get better. I hope this isn't here to stay.

And for more fun, I got some itchy skin thing from being on too many antibiotics. :blink:

Sorry for ranting,

Angela

Oh Angela so sorry to hear that.

Be careful if you can.

Maybe if you feel it coming sit down til you get your bearings?

Not trying to say something stupid here so if you just can't help it-ignore what I just said.

I get really dizzy headed and feel as if I'll fall I just haven't done it yet-knock on wood!

lieze

Angela, If I didn't understand your post please excuse me I'm not concentrating very well today. Are you saying you think your bronchitis has something to do with your falling? I have had drop attacks from inner ear problems & also from using inhalers. I have also fainted from taking antibiotics. Is it possible you have fluid in your inner ear or are having a reaction to a med? Hope you find some answers.

Hi

I believe that the coughing is the problem. When I cough, my HR goes crazy and I get lightheaded. When my POTS is aggravated, I do have spells where I just "drop". Most of the time I don't lose consciousness, I just hit the ground and am a little disoriented. I used to have warning when I was going to drop, but lately the warnings have gone away. I am getting really concerned about falling. I am trying to figure out a way to stay safe while I am up and about. Because of one of my recent falls I may have to have knee surgery. :) I now have an ugly knee brace that I have to wear until my next Dr appointment.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to something I can do to keep myself safe when I can fall at any time (while standing)? Carry pillows? Ha ha.

Oh, Mkoven I do have Chiari, you are correct. I am not sure how that plays into this. I can't keep it all straight.

Thanks,

Angela

For me, coughing makes my mouth go numb and tingly--same thing-- increase in pressure when things are already tight at the foramen magnum from chiari, and i guess some pressure on cranial nerves. Before my diagnosis, and before things got worse, my mouth would go numb when I'd blow up a balloon. Fortunately, coughing doesn't trigger POTS for me, but will give me a headache, double vision, and, again, the tingling mouth.

Oh Angela you poor dear {{hugs}}-

How absolutely horrid for you. I had to set an ankle brace after coughing and setting up a brief valsalva manuever (sorry for misspelling -I went out to dinner for my son's b'day and my IQ drops if I am vertical for too long). Are you coughing when these incidents occur or do they hit out of nowhere? For me, while I was not recognizing what happened as a cough induced syncope, I got paranoid enough that if I felt even a hint of a cough I leaned against a wall and bent over - holding onto something if I could - before I coughed. It helped.

My goodness, I truly hope you don't hurt yourself any more than you already have - you already know how dangerous it is and we all share in your anxiety over not having control. (I swear by Arnica ointment for bruises and hard knocks from falls)

Here's hoping you heal well and completely -

Noreen

Hi Reen,

The coughing had calmed down, but started up again today, as well as a low grade fever. I am so distraught right now. I have been sick for about 6 weeks now. Enough is enough! I am tired of walking around like I'm drunk and falling down and hurting myself. Now that the cough is back I am very afraid the falling will get worse. I fall out of the blue, coughing is not always present when it happens.

My friend wants me to borrow her walker (from when she had surgery) but I am mentally cringing from the idea of having to use one. I know, it sounds terrible. If it can help, maybe I should try it but part of me is so determined not to let this illness take anything else away from me.

Thanks,

Angela

Well, fell again this morning in a very public place. :( Was holding onto hubby's arm, but fell anyway. It hurt. But nothing broken, just more bruises. This is becoming my life. :( I don't want to leave the house. At least if I fall here, its on carpet. When I fall out of the house, it is usually on concrete.

Angela

angelika,

Do you have peripheral neuropathy?

when i started falling it was before I got my dx of pots. my falls were broken foot, sprains, concussions, black and blues allover that the ER though I was being abused by someone. Having bike accidents and no it wasn't just from coughing as they thought I had asthma and I coughed all the time. I'm older than you but I'm too young for a walker or so I thought.

my walker has been a big help and it has a seat. it comes in a purpley blue color so my family thinks it's cool. over the stairs i sit on my bottom when i feel a sweat begin that's when i usually fall. i'm also alone in the house and yard at certain times of the day so i wear a lifeline around my neck to press when i fall and can't get back up. It can find me if I push it anywhere around yard and home. my dog keeps me safe the rest of the time he wakes me when he knows i'm real low and we get a salty snack and drink.

So, don't knock the walker till you have tried it. falls can be very dangerous. I knew a friend who passed out in the bathroom and he died. so listen to your body as it is talking to you. it's best to be safe than sorry. if your insurance won't cover a walker with a seat walgreens has them pretty cheap. i wish you the best of luck sweet one.

infections play havoc on dysautonomia, also pain does too and you mentioned a knee brace from a fall.

hope you touch base with your doctor about this new issue for you.

sending you healing hugs that this is only temporary.

bellamia~

Got the walker. A red one that rolls, but it has brakes if you push down on it. It has a seat, which is a handly little feature. I feel much more stable walking when I use it. I hate having to use it, but it does seem to make my illness less invisible to others. My husband seems bothered by it, and doesn't want me to use it when we are out together. :unsure:

I am on Keflex, but the doctor has decided to switch me to Bactrim. Anyone have any experience with Bactrim?

Angela

Angela-

No experience with that med. I just wanted to say I'm glad you got the walker - remember they are mobility aids - it allows you to get out of the house and avoid deconditioning. You've already noticed it has removed your cloak of invisibility but it will help you in many ways.

Your hubby just wants to be able to take care of you and, to him, the walker is kind of a symbol that he cannot do that. As he adjusts, he'll come to realize it is there to keep you safe and give him peace of mind if he has to turn away from you for 30 seconds.

Hope somethings helps but in the meantime, it is great to keep those concussions to a minimum.

Noreen

Remind your husband he married you in sickness and health and which would he rather have you safe or the chance you could seriously hurt yourself?

bellamia