Weird Symptom

I have this weird symptom of somethign hopefully someone will know about. When i take pepto bismol, my tongue turns black, it says its because of the sulfur or infection in the stomach.

I read something about Plyori or something similar - anyone know what this could be?

I think this happens to everyone. It happens to me. I think it's the bismuth in it. If you stop taking it, you're tongue will turn back to normal shortly.

This is from their web site:

I noticed that Pepto-Bismol sometimes darkens the tongue/stool. Why does this happen and how long does it last?

The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol contains bismuth. When a small amount of bismuth combines with trace amounts of sulfur in your saliva and gastrointestinal tract, a black-colored substance (bismuth sulfide) is formed. This discoloration is temporary and harmless. It can last several days after you stop taking Pepto-Bismol. Individual bowel habits, your age (the intestinal tract slows down with age), and the amount of the product taken all help to determine how long Pepto-Bismol is in your system.

lol, it's nasty stuff, I hate it when I use it.... maybe you could be a sit down comic cause you are pretty funny.

bellamia~

"sit down comic" :) That one really tickled my vagus nerve (right next to the funny bone)! On a sad not, it does remind me of all the girlfriends that dumped me... stating "Sorry things didn't work out... it seem like you're just not a stand-up-guy and that is really what I need right now." So sad:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/331975.html

There was one that made me so nervous that I would literally down half a bottle of pepto bismol before seeing her (true story). Maybe my tongue had turned black and I didn't know it... that must be why I didn't make it past the first couple dates!!!

:)

lol, it's all so complicated erik... just leave them laughing here you go. Lucky you can date? I did when I still drove and could say I'll meet you at such and such... I felt safe back then. Now I can't breathe/walk as well if I want to leave a situation, like if someone's tongue is black over dinner I might excuse myself and go to the ladies room and call a cab. Dates are just a bit too costly right now. lol, lol, lol. Besides there are weird symptoms you have to explain.......

bellamia~

Ha Ha-- this is so funny. Please don't give any of the emo kids/teens this idea. Pepto has aspirin in it and that can cause Reye's syndrome (turns your brain to mush) if it is taken by children and adolescents that may have or contract a virus while the aspirin is in their system. Most people don't know Pepto has aspirin in it and is not safe for the too-young-to-vote crowd. Can you see the headlines? "Alternative Youth Accidentally Poison Themselves in an Attempt to Follow Black Tongue Trend."

rotfl oh my what a laugh I got out of this morning...thanks :o

all joking aside I had no clue it had aspirin in it so I'll be careful because the dr told me to give it to my son (he's 9).

thanks all for the info also - what I found weird was, I've taken this every single day (per my EP) since surgery last August for nausea and no black tongue, but the past week I've had pains in my upper stomach and woke up the other morning looking like a chow :)