Advil

Broken_Shell

Hi,

When I take 400 to 600 mg Advil several days in a row I seem to feel better. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Just curious. Thank you.

~ Broken_Shell

I find it helps me with dizziness.

A doctor at the Mayo clinic told me to take ibuprofen when I am dizzy because it is a vasoconstrictor.

I don't know if it is really a vasoconstrictor but I sometimes think I may have some kind of low level headache that causes dizziness and it helps that.

I don't like to take it too often because it can hurt my stomach and I sure don't want to get a rebound effect. I take 800 mg at a time.

On the "What Helps" part of dinet.org, ibuprofen is listed. It helps the lowering of bp after eating by blocking a specific prostaglandin, which, depending on the type, controls either contraction or relaxation of vascular smooth muscle scales.

My GI doc always dictates "pt denies use of alcohol and drugs but does admit to using Ibuprofen!!!" :rolleyes: Makes me laugh every time I see that. I guess in his mind they all fall under the same catagory.

Seiously though, GI bleeds from ibuprofen can be pretty nasty and I've seen patients with kidney failure from taking too much so you don't want to do it all the time. On the other hand, we tend to refer to it as "Vitamin I" around our house because we use if fairly frequently. It is good stuff! Besides the vasoconstriction properties it's also an anti-infammatory drug and helps with the joint pain that many of us with hypermobility experience regularly.

I believe I've read somewhere that advil increases blood volume to some extent. Maybe that helps.

Here's something else to think about - those who discovered the possible link between XMRV and CFS have suggested that a possible treatment option right now could be NSAIDS. I don't remember the rationale behind it might be something to think about....

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My 18 year old son, who has POTS, began taking ibuprofen 3 times a day for some unrelated pain, and all of a sudden his POTS symptoms improved a bit. He stayed on Advil for a few days, then stopped. Within a couple of days his POTS symptoms got worse again. Restarted the Advil and his symptoms improved again! Mostly his dizziness seems better. When I mentioned this to his doctor yesterday, he wasn't surprised to hear it. He said that ibuprofen can act as a vasoconstrictor and can also help with the hypovolemia. He said that Dan can take one or two 200mg. pills per day without worrying about hurting his stomach.

My son also uses a homeopathic anti-inflammatory called traumeel. http://heelusa.com/Products/ProductDetail....BLET%20100%20CT It does not have the same gastric side-effects that ibuprofen has. Dan has taken that on some days instead of the ibuprofen and that, too, seems to work for him. I don't really understand why since it's not an NSAID. Regardless, he plans to take 400 mg. of advil once a day, and 1 traumeel pill every day and we'll monitor how he feels.

I'm thrilled that we may have found something that helps a little bit. I'm also furious that the doctor never suggested trying it even though he was aware that it could help!

Guest tearose

I can't tolerate Advil or the others in that group. It makes my lymphedema swell up and as for my POTS reaction: It is better at resolving pain but I was unable to sleep!!! It kept me wide awake. I can only tolerate Tylenol.

Wow thanks for the great info.

I was taking it everyday there when I was trying to hang in there and work and it did help. I often look back and wonder how I made it through that nine months and especially when I was getting the horrible vagal stimulation that would send me into the bathroom and I just felt so horrible like I was going to go down in there in that little room with the tile floor. Although my symptoms were not fun I think taking it everyday helped me get through that. I have eased off everything because like others have posted I didn't want an ulcer or to wear out my liver or kidneys but on my worst days I take one and it always makes me feel better.

lieze