Help! Colonoscopy

wibbleway

I really need some advice, quick. I am scheduled for a routine colonoscopy Wednesday but my system has been so messed up lately with blood pressure problems that I am scared to do the prep. Has anyone else had problems with colonoscopies too!

Cathy

I just had a colonoscopy & EGD this past Thursday. The prep was very difficult for me. I had severe chills, extreme fatigue, nausea, and blacked out a few times. If you are a fainter, make sure you have someone with you during the prep. I'm glad I went through it, though. The doctor removed a polyp & the EGD showed signs of gastroparesis.

I really need some advice, quick. I am scheduled for a routine colonoscopy Wednesday but my system has been so messed up lately with blood pressure problems that I am scared to do the prep. Has anyone else had problems with colonoscopies too!

Cathy

Cathy-

Is your GI aware of your dysautonomia? Some here can get through the prep fine. Others have problems because the prep certainly adds to hypovolemia and will worsen your autonomic symptoms.

I did OK with a half-lytley prep. My Mother (also with dysautonomia) had a very rough time with her last prep- unrelenting tachy. She will not do it again w/o being hospitalized & given an IV.

If your symptoms are really severe. The safest thing would be to do the prep with an IV. Share your concerns with your doc. Let us know how it goes.

Julie

My son had a colonoscopy in October but it was done in Cleveland by his autonomic gastro dr. They made sure he had an IV and that he was very hydrated. He came through it okay. The aniestesiologist(?) was very well versed with dysautonomia and turned the IV up and let us know what could happen because of the autonomic dysfunction.

During the colonoscopy my sons heart rate dropped to 20. The stopped until he restabalized, but other than that everything went fine. Good luck. :D

Cathy,

I was admitted to do the prep for my colonoscopy because of my dysautnomia. I did ok, but I was really weak and dizzy and had a lot of tremors during the prep. I think the hospital I went to had an option would you could come in the AM to do the prep in an area supervised by nurses. Maybe this is an option? Call and ask if they have something and explain your situation. It is mostly intended for elderly or mentally disabled who need assistance or supervision. Else, make sure that you have someone with you while you are doing it.

~ Broken_Shell

Thank you all so much for the advice. I will call my doctors in the morning and discuss this with them and let them know that this has been a bad couple of weeks too. I will keep you informed and so appreciate all of you.

Thank you again,

Caty :D

I just had a colonoscopy two weeks ago and was really worried about all the fluid loss. I actually did really well throughout the prep and the procedure itself. I was surprised, as I was waiting for more lightheadedness, etc. But, nothing. But, you do drink quite a bit throughout the day, and up to 5 hours before the procedure. I made sure to drink a variety of things, like broth and Pedialyte, but nothing sugary like colas, juice, etc. , as I didn't want the glucose rollercoaster. In the morning, the IV starts to rehydrate.

Wow. This site is so fantastic for giving me information, even when I'm not thinking I'm looking for anything in particular. When I had to do a bowel prep before surgery 2 years ago, I had terrible tremors, lightheadedness etc. etc which I just blew off as being part of my "weird" make-up. But having read this post, I'm thinking it may well have been part of this whole dysautonomia thing. Thanks for info. I'll keep it in mind when my GI decides it's time for another colonscopy.

Let us know how your test goes. Good luck!