Cannot Wear Anything On Head Without Getting A Headache

futurehope

I've noticed this trait since I've been diagnosed with POTS. I cannot wear a headband or a hat without getting a migraine type headache. I did not used to be this way.

Now, I have to wear hoods in the cold weather. And, forget about wearing a headband to keep the hair out of my eyes...

I wonder if this is something I acquired from POTS, or something else all together?

Any ideas?

I've had POTS 20 years (called it Chronic mono or CFS in early years) but it's worsened in last 8 years or so. I used to wear a certain hat of mine all the time if I wanted to for hours at a time.

Now it can bother me so I take it off in the car and use while in stores (GREAT for bad hair days :) )

but I also can't keep pony tails when hair was longer in summer. My "roots/scalp" seem to hurt and or get headache. There's a word for normal touch causing pain but the name escapes me as I am multitasking.

I can sometimes wear baseball type caps but have to make sure they are lightweight and loose as possible.

Anyway, don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

:)

Oh Gosh Yes!! I get this, too! Headbands are out of the question! Some hats are, too... I have this Greek fisherman's hat that I absolutely LOVE, but can only wear for small periods of times since I get a really bad headache. I also have 3 or 4 headbands with a very long fabric piece attached to it, so it looks, when all it said and done, like I've tied a long scarf to my head, but the preassure on my temple area from thoses is WAY too much to bear. There are some days that my lace chapel veil for church is too much for me.

Sophia3,

It's called "cutaneous allodynia", associated with migraines. There's also an "external compression" headache, that is relieved after removing the hat or headband.

After a bit of research, I'm attributing this trait to something that occurred to my nerves from POTS. I also have brought on a migraine from wearing a hat. Prior to POTS, I had only 1 migraine in my life. Since POTS, I've had 2 - 3 more, and the above-mentioned scalp sensitivity.

And, BTW, no matter how loose feeling the hat, my scalp nerves eventually react. I'm also more sensitive to sounds and to smells than prior to POTS. If a sound is to loud, it hurts and bothers me. If there is a certain chemical odor, I much more prone to getting a headache than before POTS.

Ericka,

This trait keeps us from wearing our favorite hats or headbands. Boo!

I have the same problem, especially when I'm having a bad headache or migraine. The back of my head gets super sensitive to touch, and I can't stand anything on my head at all. I can never wear headbands or barrettes anymore, either, which is a bummer because I have long hair and like to have some options to keep it out of my face. On certain days I can wear a loose ponytail.

Well, now here's a new business for someone!

I do have this great light-weight fedora that except for the worst days, I have no problems wearing. And I have a smaller lace chapel cap for when I can't wear the full veil (which is almost the length of a manatilla). I can only have my hair up in a pony-tail for maybe an hour at a time (and that's pushing it), which kinda *****, because I now have long hair for the first time in 4 years, and it seems as if I can only wear it down... :) At least it's pretty and shiny, so I don't mind too much.

I've had the scalp pain. The last time I cut my hair, I didn't want to for aesthetic reasons but did it because my scalp hurt from my hair for over a week or two.

I had some thoughts about my nose when I couldn't breathe through my mouth very well and a terrible time with breathing through my nose .... :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_off_t..._spite_the_face

Again, not for aesthetic reasons (ignoring the problems with the expression as it applies historically, we also hardly need to be noseless to protect chastity with this disease :P) ).

It would have been nice had that been as easy to remedy as scalp pain ...

Futurehope

YES! Allodynia..that goes along with Fibromyalgia which is what I chalk my hat pain up to...years ago FATIGUE was always number 1 issue..in last 8-10 years pain has stepped up (we know I have sleep disorder alpha intrusion but that's another story)

but yea, I miss wearing hats for hours and on bad days cant wear ANYTHING either.

Also years ago I had a HEAVY terry cloth robe I finally could not wear as it hurt my neck and shoulders. It was floor length and weighed about 5 lbs. I finally just pitched it...was a pretty dark green but also major cat hair collector so . . .

Same here... I have a lot of neck, head, and jaw muscle pain. This winter I can't even wear earmuffs or a hat!

• 9 years later...

oh my God I have had headaches from wearing scarf hats headband so now I just keep my hair very short I can't wear scarf at night time I head up so what I do I take Tylenol at night for the headaches but my head hurt sometime when I touch it but I'm learning to live with it now I know what this is I thought I was the only one thank you guys for your comment it really really helpedπŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€