Pain On Left Side

Darlene

I have been having pain on my left side for 3 years. Now I am feeling pain on my right. I do not think it's my stomach or gallbladder. I think its IBS or something like that. They did an ultrasound of my gallbladder, and the scan came back negative. The Dr. suggested a hidal scan, but I said no. I do not want dyes injected into me. Atleast not iodine. He also suggested scoping me at both ends, but I do not think it's my stomach. The pain is more behind my rib cage. And I do not want to feel something going down my throat. I am letting them do the colonoscopy. I see the Dr. next Tuesday. Has anyone ever had this pain before? And what was it. Oh I forgot a symptom. I have diahreaha just about everyday. And can they do the hidal scan without injecting iodine? Can they use gandolinium instead. What do they do with them people who are allergic to idone? Not do the scan?

definitely frusterating. I'm sorry you've been dealing with this for 3 years.

Where exactly is your pain? Is it dull or sharp? Constant or comes and goes? Does it get worse when you eat? Does going to the bathroom alleviate the pain at all? Can you touch where it hurts or is it more on the inside?

I'm not positive but I think there is an alternative to iodine for scans. You might have to power through and get the tests done if you want answers. I had both procedures you mentioned, they aren't that bad. And the endoscopy (thing going down your throat) only last 10 minutes. It's not that bad and I did it without sedation.

I hope you find some answers!

good luck, feel well

Maisie

In my experience, it's generally best to do all the tests you can, or else you'll end up missing something important. I've also had both of those studies done, and they really aren't as bad as it sounds. I'm sure there has to be an alternative to iodine, for those who are allergic, and endoscopies can be done both awake, or somewhat sedated. The part that took the longest for me was waiting for the anesthesia to wear off. <_<

I agree with Jeff K, although I had both the ultrasound and the Hida Scan, and nothing showed up on either test. We had a long post up not too long ago about gallbladder pain, and how something like 70% or women don't show any symptoms when their gallbladders are actually bad. I had pain in my central upper chest and to the left, pretty bad pain, and they ended up taking out my gallbladder and it was dead. Many problems solved. I'm not saying that's what it is, but I would keep that idea in the back of my head and do the Hida Scan to see what it shows.

Hope you feel better soon!

Jana