Beta Blocker - Change Of Generic Brand - Faster Heartbeat

iheartcats

Unfortunately, my Beta Blocker has been switched on me. I tried my mail pharmacy and my local pharmacy and both now have Teva-brand (and even Walgreens carries Teva here). I know Teva is a big generic manufacturer and was hoping this would be OK. I have a 90-day supply.

My heart rate is faster today and I'm a bit more POTSY. I was doing pretty well on the other generic. Now, I don't know if it's coincidence (feeling a bit dehydrated today, haven't eaten much today, and am stressed more than usual). I don't know if my body has to 'adjust' to this new generic, though? Could I have to change dosage? That'd suck because I'm supposed to take the lowest amount possible.

It's Propranolol, non-timed release (I prefer the standard) and only generic is made of standard Propranolol. Inderal XL is the 'timed-release' and for some timed drugs just don't work as well for me 90% of the time.

I really, really hate generics have to change. I've finally found 2 tolerable Midodrine generics. Propranolol is such a widely used drug you'd think the generics would be OK...that's why I'm praying for coincidence! Or at least a short adjustment period.

Unfortunately, my Beta Blocker has been switched on me. I tried my mail pharmacy and my local pharmacy and both now have Teva-brand (and even Walgreens carries Teva here). I know Teva is a big generic manufacturer and was hoping this would be OK. I have a 90-day supply.

My heart rate is faster today and I'm a bit more POTSY. I was doing pretty well on the other generic. Now, I don't know if it's coincidence (feeling a bit dehydrated today, haven't eaten much today, and am stressed more than usual). I don't know if my body has to 'adjust' to this new generic, though? Could I have to change dosage? That'd suck because I'm supposed to take the lowest amount possible.

It's Propranolol, non-timed release (I prefer the standard) and only generic is made of standard Propranolol. Inderal XL is the 'timed-release' and for some timed drugs just don't work as well for me 90% of the time.

I really, really hate generics have to change. I've finally found 2 tolerable Midodrine generics. Propranolol is such a widely used drug you'd think the generics would be OK...that's why I'm praying for coincidence! Or at least a short adjustment period.

cat lady I hope this will pass, but if it doesn't have your doc tell the insurance that the generic isn't working right on you and they most likely will put you back on the brand name. It happened to me a few months ago on two meds and it went through. Hang in there sweetie.

bellamia~

hi cat:)

i take propanolol regular....only comes in generic--as you apparently know.

anyways, we have CVS drugstore chain here, and i get MYLAN generic from them---and have no problems.

i take small increments--bout 5 mg...2-3 times per day.

never tried TEVA

hope this helps!

best regards, Pam

hi cat:)

i take propanolol regular....only comes in generic--as you apparently know.

anyways, we have CVS drugstore chain here, and i get MYLAN generic from them---and have no problems.

i take small increments--bout 5 mg...2-3 times per day.

never tried TEVA

hope this helps!

best regards, Pam

Hey Pam!

Yeah it's hard as it only comes in Generic. I'm trying to figure out the 'old' Generic I used to be on. It's weird...it seems like California has different Generics than Illinois. :) And when we have no 'brand' to turn to it's difficult. It's the one that really works for me!

HI AGAIN,CAT....

is it feasible to check w/pharmacy---and their records---to access what generic you were on before????

they should have the records.....

i think there may be a chance---your pharmacy could order it for you--or --are you saying they told you--it isn't made anymore??

believe me--needlesstosay--i am intolerant of most meds.....so, try the MYLAN --IF you can request it.....

gl, hun...

let me know how you're faring

-pam-

I think I am starting to regulate on the new generic. I'm about back to normal, maybe a tad more tired, but nothing insufferable.

It took about 3 days (at least it didn't take weeks) to get 'used' to this one. I hope I'm through the worst and am trying to order a 90-day supply of this same one as my body is 'used' to it.

I wish generics were more regulated! I've no idea why my pharmacy can't get the prior generic. They didn't explain well. I'm fortunate this one seems to be working now, although I have to remember to test my BP!

When I was on Toprol, I could only take the brand. When they switched me to the generic, it didn't work at all - I became extremely symptomatic very quickly...it did not control my heartrate whatsoever. I remember reading something about generic toprol not working for people...here's an interesting link about beta blockers and their generic counterparts...

http://www.healthnews.com/problem-found-wi...sure-medication

Im in the uk and i know that here the generics drug components are required by law to be exactly the same as the branded, however, i used to be on atenalol and one of the generics of it used a different ingredient in its outer coating that i was allergic to. aused me real problems and ages to figure out but the Dr spoke to the pharmacist and they could order in the one that suited me.