Strange Dreams

ana_22

just wondering if this has happened to anyone & whether it may be ans related.

it happened to me yesterday & this morning.

i usually wake up at 7.00amish but i try to get a few hours more sleep though its really hard for me to get back to sleep and usually i just lay there with my eyes shut.

anyway yesterday and this morning it seems like i slipped into a weird dream state...i was fully aware i was dreaming and knew that if i moved my fingers or toes i would 'come out' of this dream state. i did move a few times to come out of it but found it easy to get back into it. the dreams i was having were just lying in my bed moving my arms and legs (cos it felt weird and floaty like) also walking around and meeting people from my old work.

it was such a weird experience....it lasted for about an hour to an hour & a half. i tried to look it up on the net and found something about lucid dreaming but im not sure if this is it.

Yeah, I've had lucid dreams before. I've determined while I was dreaming that my dream was too scary and I should change the story, or I'd get freaked out!

I don't believe it has anything to do with dysautonomia. I remember reading about it in my psychology 101 course in college.

Amy

I get this too. Mainly in the same situation that you described - in the mornings after I have woken up but am still in bed, just drifting in and out of sleep, or 'la la land' as I like to call it.

As I said, only in the mornings - during the main part of the night my dreams are normal. Since getting sick I find that I dream A LOT! My doctor said it is because of high adrenalin levels.

I used to get this more often. I sleep a lot better now with the beta blocker/melatonin combo. For "normal" people who are trying to do this, they drink coffee before bed so that the are never asleep deeply enough to not remember their dreams. I think it actually does have to do with dysautonomia for those of us with hypervigilance. Not that it causes lucid dreaming, just that for some it creates a more shallow sleep and our brains don't "turn off." I think I remember that lucid dreaming on the EEG (brain wave activity) looks almost exactly like an awake EEG, so you are asleep but your brain is awake. :o

I've had this feeling bleed into daytime on occasion. I should have been freaked out but I live in a "detached" realm on a regular basis anyway so I just go with it and try not to embarrass myself by doing anything odd in public. :)

I do think it is more likely with a sleep disorder, and a sleep disorder is more likely with a dysautonomia.

I have an overactive dreaming brain! I dream everynight, and nothing like nice, sweet dreams. I have half-nightmares all the time. I dreamed once that a guy was standing at my bedroom door, and I was paralyzed. I felt like it was real and I felt like I was awake, but I wasn't. Last week I dreamed that my window unit in my bedroom(yea, hot all the time and my central a/c doesn't cut it) was on fire and I was in bed unable to move. These dreams seem so real, and they seem to be getting scarier. I would totally believe that adrenaline causes this.

When they get scary or too vivid, there are things that you can "do" in your dreams if you can control them enough. Try "spinning around" in your dream, the imagery will change. You can also look for a door or light-switch. These are all things that people who try to have lucid dreams do while dreaming to signal themselves that they ARE dreaming. It is a really fascinating subject of sleep therapy and there are whole forums dedicated to people trying to do it. Lucid dreaming is not the same as hypnogogic hallucinations, those are images that you see when you are just waking up that seem superimposed on your real surroundings.

I get this a lot. Because my PhD is on literary representations of dreams and visions, I find that I get this kind of meta-consciousness that you're talking about. In that, I *know* I am dreaming and am able to comment, "This is a dream, I must be asleep"but I am still fully immersed in whatever is going on in the course of the dream. It's weird but true! Also kind of cool, except that I work on dreams all day, and then feel a bit like I sometimes work on them all night too!

well it happened again this morning....si i thought i would experiment,

i tried to life my hand to scratch my head.....so it felt like my hand was lifting (but in reality i knew it wasnt) anyway i got about half way there and my ear started doing a high pitched ring and felt like it was full of pressure and going to burst (my left ear which has been tested and found vestibular wise weaker than my right)

so i freaked out and for real moved my arm to wake my self up.

the oly thing i can think as to why this happened is maybe my brain was still alert so not in sleep mode and my vestibular might have been getting too confused trying to work out where i was in space and time.....and couldnt as i was moving an arm but not really moving it....hmmm confusing, weird but interesting!

Wake up Tachy, wake up! Do not write on the forum when you are asleep!

Wait, is the forum real? Can someone help me figure this out? Please? Are you just there when I am asleep or are you there when I am awake?!! :)

-----

My nightmares got a lot more vivid when I became reallly sick with this ... and I can sometimes now wake myself up in the middle of one.

I used to get these a lot when I was younger. I would look at the clock and think its not possible to be that time of day or realize whatever was happening in the dream isn't right and can only be a dream. They can certainly be annoying though. And being a kid nobody really believed me that I was having them!

Now I seem to just get many, many nightmares. Nightmares were rare for me when I was little. No idea why I'm so prone to them now. I want those lucid happy dreams I used to have back!