Food Poisoning Or Maybe The Flu?

janiedelite

Last Wednesday was hubby's birthday and we went for dinner at our favorite steak place. The only item we ate together was some onion rings and some bread. Other than that, our meals were different from each other. He had seafood and I had steak. Anyway, I woke up Friday with diarrhea and assumed it was POTS-related, until Saturday when I came down with a low-grade fever and the diarrhea persisted until it became watery and hubby started getting sick with the same cramps and diarrhea. Then I started vomitting Saturday night, in spite of taking phenergan. I tried some immodium Saturday but got so bloated and crampy I figured it was best to just let things pass. I ache all over too. Hubby doesn't have the fever or the aches.

I'm able to drink plenty. Anything I eat goes right through me though. I'm really being careful to avoid dehydration. I've been reading online about food poisoning and I'm wondering if it's normal to have problems for more than 3 days... anyway, I'm sure this too will pass ;):) !

I forgot to add that hubby is moping around today because he doesn't like being sick. He said he's so glad he's not me! He's a terrible patient - so whiny and hard to please. I'm actually sicker than he is with whatever this bug is, but I'm so used to having wierd symptoms I'm just resting, sleeping, eating bland food, drinking and waiting it out. He's so pouty about being sick... I can't help but to laugh and roll my eyes! :) I"m sure many of you know what I'm talking about!

Hi,

I hope you can make it through... food poisining usually passes in 24 to 48 hours. I am glad you are trying to keep on top of hydration. The best way to keep things down is just little sips of fluids every few minutes. Don't hestitate to call the MD if your body can't hold up under the POTS and this illness. Sending hugs and well wishes :) Let us know how you're doing.

~ Broken_Shell

I had a very bad case of food poisoning some years ago from chicken, and while most food poisoning cases don't last longer than a couple of days, I was still having diarrhea and cramps a week later. They had to check out my colon to see if I'd done permanent damage.

However, as Kayjay said, if you have a fever, especially one of more than a degree or so, I'm betting you have a gastro inflammation or bacterial/viral issue. The flu doesn't cause stomach symptoms, it's usually confined to the chest and head. Nice to know that reading all of that H1N1 stuff taught me that there is no such thing as a 'stomach flu'.

Hope you feel better soon, and keep the liquids going! If it doesn't pass in another day or so, I'd see your doc.

Take care,

Jana

I had food poisoning a while back (on vacation :-() and I had diarrhea for about 3-4 days before it finally passed. Probably had the low grade fever too, I felt all warm, but didn't have a thermometer. Best thing to let it do is pass on through - taking stuff to stop the diarrhea is probably going to make it last longer. As long as you can keep hydrated, you're probably okay. If it goes on longer than 5 days, I'd see a doctor, you might need antibiotics.

I don't think it's H1N1, as you didn't say you had any respiratory symptoms and that's what usually signifies the flu.

Feel better soon, both of you!

Sara

Thanks for the support, guys! No, I don't have the respiratory symptoms at all so I"m pretty sure H1N1 isn't my issue. It probably doesn't really matter whether the flu or food poisoning caused our illness. Either way, I should probably let my doc know tomorrow (5th day) of the issues. I think things might be slowing down down there... or maybe it's just because there's nothing left to go through!

Another reason for thinking this is the flu is the headache we've had since it started, and we feel so much worse whenever we get up. Hubby was well enough to go to work today, thank goodness. I always seem to get things twice as bad and twice as long, though.

It's often that the "stomach flu" is the cause of 'food poisoning." The two are inter-related whether or not the food was contaminated with norovirus or salmonella. Whatever it was, was on people's hands and surfaces and got into your food. Definitely sounds like a stomach thing.

I get confused with POTS symptoms and general symptoms that other people get too! I pass stuff off as POTS until I getting nasal congestion or vomiting!

Hope you feel better really soon... remember to drink ridiculous amounts of water! As if I need to tell you that...

janey

I get confused with POTS symptoms and general symptoms that other people get too! I pass stuff off as POTS until I getting nasal congestion or vomiting!

I know!!! We've been trying to get pregnant for a while and one month I SWORE I was pregnant because of what I thought was "morning sickness"... yet it ended up just being POTS stuff. :) Since then, I blame any odd symptom on POTS.

Anyway, I believe the worst of whatever this was is now over. Hubby is feeling better too. Yay! :)

I had diarrhea from some unknown cause and when I took Pepto Bismo, I got terrible stomach cramps. I called my doctor's office and the nurse said it is a bad idea to take any of those meds like Pepto and Immodium, that are supposed to stop diarrhea because your body is trying to eliminate the virus/bacteria and those things stop the natural process, thus the awful cramps. Her advice....stop taking the meds.

Something I sure didn't know and makes me wonder what those meds are for?

The Immodium might have slowed the process so your symptoms lasted longer.

Hope you are feeling better by the time you read this.

Stuff yourself with saltines and rice. And don't eat corn, honestly, I did that....BAD idea. You will SEE why if you do it.

Stuff yourself with saltines and rice. And don't eat corn, honestly, I did that....BAD idea. You will SEE why if you do it.

Corn! :rolleyes: The most challenging food I ate today was eggs with cheese. But I am doing better. I took Immodium Saturday (when I still thought this was solely related to autonomic dysfunction) and I did get sicker, fever started, cramps worse... I've read that immodium does help with dysautonomia-related diarrhea. Pepto does normally help me too. Not this time! Thanks for the well-wishes.

I think it's taking me a little longer than hubby because it's taking longer to get rid of the bug that caused this because of my slow-moving gut...? Just a thought. Hubby was better yesterday.