What Is Your Bp?

Broken_Shell

Hi,

My BP usually tends to run about 90/60. To me that seems normal for a 27 year old, small framed female. Some of my doctors think this BP is fine, and others feel that it is too low and contributing to my symptoms.

What are other people's BPs, and at what level do you begin to feel symptomatic and like your BP is too low? I know that I just posted on ihatebananas topic about the dis-correlation between peripheral BP and blood flow distribution causing symptoms, but I would still appreciate some feedback just because so many of our doctors think that our peripheral BPs should make or break our symptoms.

I do experience an increase in symptoms when my BP goes into the 80's/50's, but I don't know if I'd feel even better at something higher than 90/60. The thing is that when I look at my old medical records, my BP was never much higher than this and I didn't have any of the symptoms back then that I have now.

Thank you!

~ Broken_Shell :P

Mine's generally about the same as yours and, like you, I am worse if it dips. I can feel symptomatic at 100/60. Much higher, and I think other factors are contributing to feeling ill.

For me, the critical thing is the diastolic pressure, though once the systolic is over 100, the diastolic is usually 70+ in any case.

In the UK, low blood pressure isn't considered a problem and there is no licensed treatment which is all very frustrating. This is on the basis that people with low blood pressure tend to live longer (quality of life doesn't seem to feature!) Therefore, it is usual for me to be told that my blood pressure is fine/normal.

I find fludrocortisone helps whilst I've had mixed results with midodrine. This makes some sense to me as fludrocortisone ought to raise the diastolic whereas I found midodrine mainly raises the systolic pressure.

Shell, My bp tends to be much higher then yours but it has been 80/42 and I felt ok ....maybe b/c my pulse was also low 50. Anyway For me I think the feeling crappy has to do with the changes more then the #. I don't take my bp every day (maybe I should b/c it can give you good info) but I cannot always connect how I feel with the readings. I know I don't feel good when my heart beats fast... but again i think I feel the Blood pressure changes (maybe why high blood pressure is called " the silent killer" because people with chonically high blood pressure don't feel it?). Also my mom's hr and bp are very low (now health problems) but she doesn't feel sleepy like I do. Just my thoughts.... I don't really know what I am talking about :P . Kay

Supine my BP is usually 90ties/60ties (use to be 100/70-110/70). It varies a lot though sometimes dropping to 80ties over 50ties and sometimes 100/60. I'm not able to take BP standing at home, but in Dr. office it drops 20/10 points. Sitting it drops some, but since I've been on Midodrine the drop has not been as much sometimes staying the same. The weird thing is since I've been on the Midodrine my BP has not gone up and is even lower than usual many times yet I feel so much better. I can't tell any difference in the way I feel based on my BP readings. I think it is more how big the drop is or how great the HR goes up, but that is just my guess. I'm still too new to this.

Debbie

When my blood pressure was lower I felt weak a lot. I do not remember what it was then but it was less then 100/60. I was found to have 80/50 once during a Dr. visit, and a narrow pulse pressure also, being 80/60. Now thanks to Pristiq and being post menopausal my bp is 130/70 and I feel much better.

Is that BP when you're sitting, standing, or lying down? How much of a change do you get going from supine to standing? I think it's the drop that really makes you feel bad. I'll have 100/65 when supine, but standing it'll drop to 70s over mid-50s, with my pulse going from 60 to 100-130, and I feel absolutely horrible and almost pass out. I have read several places that anything under a BP of 90/60 is considered 'hypotensive'. It depends on the individual and how symptomatic they get from the highs or lows. I really feel sick when I get into the 60s over high 40s.

Cheers,

Jana

I'm usually in 120 to 140 systolic range supine but often drops when standing (to 100-110's or well lower if bad) but not always. My statistical average is 130/81 for the last year (over 900 readings). Sampling is skewed by drops but also by plenty of "supine" measures so it's probably about the same as if I did it sitting (proper for general health BP).

Avg for last couple months is 128/82 and pulse in 80's so I guess I'm just an average healthy guy... he he he :) I'm tall male with a solid build and "big boned"... basically opposite body type :)

I intentionally target a mild hypertension (around 140 systolic) with salt/water diet (and formerly with fludrocortisone) since I get lightheaded even just getting down near BP's of 100 and start blacking or whiting out while passing through the 80's or even low 90's. So I aim high such that my dips are less symptomatic. I can also feel faint when BP is well higher so I do believe there are brain blood flow issues in play for me. The couple time's I've fainted fully were long before monitoring or being aware of this stuff.

Mine was 80 over 50 one of the last times I went to the doctor, and I felt fine. I was NOT feeling so hot when I was in the emergency room with a ruptured ovarian cyst and it took them four times to even find a blood pressure. My arms and legs were going numb.

Mine normally is 110 or so over 60 or so. I "black out" easily, especially on standing.

Amy

At 70/50 I am not moving well. That tends to be my low. I have had terrible times of 60/40 that was addressed with the docs and an IV!!!

I notice I start functioning better at 90/ x then am improved at 100/ x and when I am at 110/ 70 I am at my best!

This is the progression of a normal morning for me.