Numb Tongue And Brainstem

mkoven

I've posted here before about my intermittent tongue numbness with head movement. Probably related to my combo of chiari/neck instability, as nerves for tongue come off brainstem. a little freaky. Talked to eds geneticist who thought I could wait for now, but was talking about surgery. A little freaked and discouraged. I'm trying to keep working. It's hard and my tongue is worse today--I may have been in some bad postures and not realized it. There is a lot I love about my job. Too much stress and I wish I could work 2/3 or 1/2 time. It's too late for this semester, as I'd be messing up the lives of 30 students if I stopped one of my classes at this point. I just want to keep doing it and not damage my body. Just wish I could say this was an acute problem that would stop. Afraind to really let anyone at work know how bad it can be. I really realize now how strenuous teaching is-- even when I'm careful to avoid standing. It's so much work to keep my head/neck in alignment. Just venting. It sounds so bad to to think that I'm pinching my brainstem when I move my head.

I'm sorry you're going through this right now, just far enough into the semester to make a change in your work hours difficult. It must be very scary to know your brain stem is being pinched and affecting your tongue. Sometimes I wonder if knowing so much about our bodies and their malfunctions is such a good thing! It sounds like you have a doctor on top of things, so that's great. Kudos to you for going ahead with your teaching. I hope you have a support system around you to talk about these things if you're not comfortable talking to your colleagues about these issues.

I hope you're feeling better soon. Take good care.

Cheers,

Jana