Recommendations For Bp Machines

Rafiki

I have tried several different BP machines but have not found one that is able to read my BP when standing, presumably since it falls so low. When taken in hospital nurse sometimes had a hard time taking it, but at other times the reading would be 80/50. Supiine BP is typically 100/70 or 90/65. Dr. said I probably wouldn't find one that would be able to read it while standing, but I see that many of you seem to be able to take yours at home. Does anyone have recommendations of a machine that will read low BP while standing?

Thanks,

Debbie

I have the top of the line omron with all the bells and whistles... I wasted my money on several before this one. Cardio told me it's the only one he trusts, I use one mode for sitting and the other mode for standing. Then it has software for your computer to take or make PDF files to send to your doctor. Was a great price on Amazon.com. When I got it I brought it in and we calibrated it to the dr's machine. It's right on sitting and standing. I just hold the machine at heart level with arm out when standing. We both get the same numbers.(doc and I) I have to take my pressures around the clock and we can't believe how well it's holding up.. These machines aren't really made for the amount of use it gets from me.

Every couple of appointments I bring it in just to make sure it's still right. It always is......LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

blessings,

bellamia~

no machine will be able to give you a reading if you're past a certain point, moving around too much, etc. but some are definitely better bets than others. in many (most) cases you should be able to try the machine and - if it doesn't work to your liking - return it so while that is a hassle and does leave you where you started at least you're not throwing away money over and over again.

while i'm by no means saying it is the only brand that will work for you, dr. grubb told me years ago - and i've heard it said by other cardios since - that a consistently reliable/ good brand (that is also affordable by an individual vs. a hospital or research lab) is Omron; over the years i have seen them sold at a variety of stores both in person and online.

the additional info/ points are things i have learned over the years from a variety of physicians/ medical professionals, medical journal sources, etc.:

#1.) none of the more "creative" measures of measuring one's BP (on a finger, a wrist, etc.) are NOT ever going to be as consistently accurate as the tried and true upper arm measurement. the others may seem "easier" but that's here nor there if/ when they won't give you a reading or - perhaps worse - give you a reading that's totally off base

#2.) while fully automatic varieties that accurately take a BP at levels very low, very high, & everywhere in between DO exist, they are hospital-grade models that are likely unaffordable for most individuals in the home environment. as such a model that has fewer "automated components" will be most likely to give you accurate readings outside of the more typical number ranges. the most accurate/ reliable bet is actually an old fashioned cuff requiring manual inflation, listening/ reading w/ a stethoscope, etc; this is unlikely to be realistic though for many/ most of us for various reasons (hard if not impossible to do independently, esp. if/ when not well, must know how to take/ read results correctly, etc.). as such the next best bet is a machine that you must inflate manually but which then takes the reading on its own; i can't tell you why these tend to work better than machines that also inflate on their own but i can tell you that from the experience of several of my physicians, other patients, & myself that they do....perhaps it's just that there's one less automated component that has the opportunity for confusion re: how much to inflate, etc. in relation to less-than-typical results.

so....end result? an omron arm cuff with manual inflation would be my recommendation, though i would still always recommend a purchase with the option of a return. for what it's worth i've had mine for more than ten years and other than having to replace the batteries several times (AA i believe; nothing unique or particularly pricey) i haven't had any major problems with it, it seems to take readings at lower levels than some other home machines, etc. nothing you buy at home will be foolproof or perfect - heck even the multi-thousand dollar gadgets in hospitals aren't error-free - but there are definitely some options that will suit you more than others. fyi i believe my machine cost around $50 (give or take) when it was purchased 10+ yrs ago; i'm pretty sure you should be able to get a good one in the $40-60 range depending on how much comparison shopping you're willing & able to do.

hope this helps & good luck!

:o melissa

Rafiki,

I have the same problem that you do with my BP getting so low it's hard to get readings sometimes. I have an Omron around the wrist (my first when I was so young and naive - 3 years ago!), which I would not recommend because it's readings are not very reliable. I also have a cuff with a stethoscope, but it's difficult to manage, as Sunfish wrote. The one I get the best results from is an 'AND' or 'A&D Medical Blood Pressure Monitor UA-767 PC' that runs on 4 AA batteries. I was lucky to work with someone that used to work with medical supplies, and he gave this one to me to try. It's turned out to be very accurate and in tune with my cardio's, and it has the upper arm cuff also. Just another option...If you want their 800 number just PM me. You may want to do some hunting to find the best one for you.

Good luck!

Jana

Guest tearose

My wrist model is holding up fine and it is a few years old now. I just have to be sure I raise my arm to heart level. Accuracy was also checked at the doctor's office.

Can you try a few at a surgical pharmacy to see what works best for you before buying one?

tearose

For years I had a HEALTH TEAM manual inflate with auto readings that was accurate..but beeped loudly as it counted my pulse!! then it finally wore out and would not deflate or inflate correctly. Often my hands are weak and it's tough to pump something up when you are a lone and sickish.

somebody bought me an Omron Intellisense as a gift for keeping a medical diary for a science project. I think it was over 100.00 at SAMS or COSTCO. compared to my old one it's close enough and accurate.

And it saves the date..and best of all, I don't have to use my hands when hurting to pump the thing up repeatedly if I get errors (which happens but few nurses can count my pulse correctly either! or exercise machines at the Y but I digress)

Just get something that is consistent for you. If you need a comparison take it to a doctor's visit and see if they will let you use it before or after a nurse checks yours on a doctors office version.

that way you know what to allow for "Mileage may vary" between machines.

Hi,

I think you have got a lot of great advice. I don't use mine that often. Probably should watch it more, but tend to either not think of it when I feel awful or it isn't anywhere near me...

I currently have an Omron that I am happy with, and have found that they seem to have the best reputation in at home BP monitoring. As far as one that will be able to detect your BP standing... if it is super low or all over the place any automated monitor is just going to see that as an error. So, like others have said you almost have to do it manually, and even then it can be tricky to get an accurate reading. You mentioned nurses having difficulty getting it sometimes, so if you were to do it or rely fully on a machine it is not apt to be accurate or easy to measure all the time.

:)

I have an Omron 705 IT BP monitor. My Dad bought it for me many years ago from the electronics store at Schiphol airport and I'm sure that he didn't pay the current Amazon price for it (?150!!) (it is showing the same machine but 705 CP with printer for $73 on the amazon US site). It is an expensive machine but I think I can count on one hand the number of times that I have had error readings from it. It is a home use monitor but my GP has the same machine on his desk and uses it a lot so it does stand up to heavy usage. I must admit that I don't have the available printer and haven't only used the USB data transfe facility a couple of times so unless you really want those features then one of the cheaper Omron machines would do just as well.

Flop