chlorinated sugar and brain fog

Guest tearose

Guest tearose

A relative of mine concerned with my frustration over my lack of mental clarity and brain fog mentioned a study about the brain fog some people get after using splenda. I use a lot of it daily. I did a look up on the internet and it looks like some chemical/ chlorine sensitive people may actually get sick using it. I sure don't want to give up my sugar substitute unless it really could be contributing to my symptoms. Anyone out there have any info about this? tearose

Guest tearose

Yes, for sure I was foggy before sucralose, but I'm much fogger than ever in the last couple of years. I've had my pots since 1991 so I naturally believed the increasing brain fog was just the pots getting worse as other symptoms have. I'm curious to see if anyone else may have tried to remove this from their daily diet and if they saw any improvement.

Guest tearose

hi geneva, I guess I won't know unless I eliminate it from my diet. I am upset naturally because I truly love my sugars and I resent having to give up yet another thing because of pots. I have to choose between sugar and possible improvement in brain power? If it means I will not be as brain fogged then it is something I will try... very reluctantly!

just a note:

I have such a passion for my sweets that when I was given a hebrew name by a rabbi, he chose the name "Metukah" which means sweet in hebrew.

oh well, tearose

Hi, Tearose. Just curious--are OTHER symtoms worse when you have real sugar (as opposed to the substitute)? I wonder why you switched... (I can certainly understand wanting to have one or the other in your life...)

For my part, I don't like taking in more chemicals than I get just by living and eating in 2004...and I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners.

Metukah fits you to a T, by the way. Or is it to a tea(rose)? You're a sweetheart...

One other thing--before you came back on board, there was a very interesting discussion about Cerefolin you might want to read. Here's the URL for the original thread (though the topic came up a bunch after that...you can try a search if you want more than what's here ... but this vitamin sounds so promising! You might talk to your doctor about it.)

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...87&hl=cerefolin

Be well,

Merrill

Tearose,

Interesting! I get extremely nauseous from Splenda! Sugar and Aspartame don't affect me at all!

Weird!

Lisa

I'm a huge advocate of NO artificial sweeteners. The case studies I have read, combined with info from people I know (including a co-worker who thought she was truly losing her mind and had developed undiagnosed heart trouble until she quit using Splenda), makes a no-brainer decision for me to never, ever touch any of this fake junk.

If you do have such a strong need for sweets, it's because you are addicted to sugar. Plan for about 2 weeks or so to struggle with the detox from the addiction - after that it will be MUCH easier. I've been sugar- and sweetener-free for about 16 years now and don't miss it a bit, even though I used to live on soda, milkshakes, Twinkies, ice cream sandwiches, cookies, etc.

Guest tearose

More answers to your questions of me: Merrill, I don't have other worse symptoms that change as much as the brain fog. The fatigue and other pots symptoms seem more related to increased physical activity. I put splenda in my coffee, and tea to "save" the real sugar for my cake and cookies! I could switch back to real sugar again too. Maybe sugar in the raw? Thanks ever so much for the info on cerefolin!!! I see the neuro doc next week and I'm going to ask about B12 and folic acid and cerefolin. You gave me hope merrill! Treat the brain and leave me to some small amount of sugar... please!

Opus88, (did you compose one in 88?) anyway, I intellectually understand that fake is worse than real but felt splenda was not that fake. That opinion may change. I really do not want to even think of taking all sugar out of my diet and I have trouble thinking of it as an addiction. I need to get food to taste like something and that is why I use some salt and sugar. I have almost no sense of smell and limited sense of taste and I use spice, salt and sugar to make me have an appetite. For me this whole eating thing is an ordeal because 1) I have to limit my salt because I have lymphedema and yet it is salt that improves our pots. 2) I shouldn't overdose on sugar because it can stress the insulin balance in a healthy person let alone a pots person and yet sweet things tingle my tastebuds and make me want to eat. 3) spice makes my tastebuds happy but upsets my stomach. If I don't jazz up food I don't want to eat! That's not good either.

I hope to find a balance somehow...don't whole raw foods have natural sugar? opus88, would you please consider letting me convince you to "allow" me to try raw sugar before taking me off it all together??? What do you think? reluctantly, tearose

I don't know much about raw sugar, but the less processed something is, the less unhealthy it should be. It might be stronger (or maybe weaker - I don't know), so my suggestion is that if you try it, go light on it. My body will not let me have sugar or even fruit - it kicks up the insulin which then kicks up the adrenaline, which will take me down for days, weeks or months. Ugh! I've worked too hard to get my health to this level, and don't want to set off another downward spiral (that can happen too easily even when I think I haven't done anything "wrong".)

P.S. 88 keys on a piano. I'm a professional musician and former school music teacher. I still maintain a small private piano & voice studio (outside of my full-time office job) plus I accompany our almost-professional-quality community chorus, and play piano and sometimes a little harp for parties, weddings, etc.