Info For Others With Pots

kayjay

Internet searching hasn't told me if Yaz and Yasmin are actually identical birth control pills. The are both made by the same company and contain the same two hormones. I've found the doseage of the hormones for Yasmin but not for Yaz - does anyone know the dose of the hormones?

YAZ drospirenone & ethinyl estradiol

Yasmin Ethinylestradiol 30 micrograms, drospirenone 3 mg

Drospirenone is a very mild diuretic so will cause you to pee a bit more than usual (it is often prescribed to women who get pre-menstrual ankle swelling).

I take Yasmine and haven't noticed any worsening of my POTS, or any improvements in the 6 months that I wasn't taking it.

Flop

I've now found the doseage info.

Yasmine Ethinylestradiol 30 micrograms, drospirenone 3 mg

Yaz Ethinylestradiol 20 micrograms, drospirenone 3 mg

Yaz has less oestrogen than Yasmin so they are not identical, but the bit that has diuretic effects is the drospirenone which is the same dose in the two different pills.

Flop

Sorry I was thinking specifically of certain GABA agents that reduced sympathetic outflow, caffeine which can increase blood pressure and flow to the brain or butchers broom which decreases venous permiability which is a problem that vanderbilt think is specific to hyperadrenergic POTS.

Butchers broom gave me AMAZING results for five days then stopped working and made me far worse. I doubt Ill ever use an alpha agonist again after that.

Before i got diagnosed with POTS, i got prescribed several kinds of diuretics to get my BP down. I couldnt tolerate any of them, in fact they left me with the worsed side effects i experienced so far. They left me bedridden every time i have tried them. I would never ever try them again. I cant even tolerate herbal diuretics, they make my HR spike as well.

carinara

Diuretics usually hurt POTS. However, there are some substances that have diuretic properties, that also have other properties, and those other properties help POTS. Caffeine is a good example. Some people with dysautonomia benefit from caffiene on an ongoing basis. You just have to figure out whether the good aspects outweigh the diuretic effect for you. This is different for each person.