They Are Taking My Med Off The Market

pat57

I saw my EP today and got the news. I was not able to work without it. And I haven't mentioned but I sold my house Aug. 11 (that is accepted an offer) Bought a condo (that is had my offer accepted )on the 20th. Have settlement on both in OCt. getting separated at that time. Taking my autistic daughter with me and-

WHAT! As far as I know a pace maker is my last option.

I am NOT a happy camper.

If anyone knows a med with Anticholinergic, anti-muscarinic, and negative inotropic effect let me know. I had no luck!

The reasons he gave for stopping the manufacture are--so few people take it and its dangerous.

I'm afraid I will be disabled.

That's so scary. I just hate how pharma/healthcare is tied to users/profits. This is helping you immensely and likely others...just because it's not a big seller they may remove it. That's frustrating.

Have you discussed other meds with your doctor? Will the pacemaker give you the same results?

I wish you well. Such sad news!

From what I've read, the company that makes Norpace, Ethex, hasn't completely stopped making the medication, but perhaps have stopped making the controlled release only? I read conflicting things online. Here's a link to a cardiac forum that discusses the issue:

http://www.4hcm.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15391

and here it talks about recall rather than discontinuation:

http://www.iguard.org/alert.html?aid=425

My suggestion would be to contact the maker of the medication--you still might be able to get it from alternative locations--i.e. Canada, Mexico, etc. In fact, many members here order meds from Canada in particular.

sounds like you have a heck of a month ahead. Hang in there!

Nina

I'm only copying info from other forums but from what I have read it sounds like the generic Disopyramide CR made by Ethex has been recalled and that they possibly no longer make the generic.

Pfizer are still making the brand Norpace CR but when the Ethex went off-sale the demand for the brand norpace CR was so high that pfizer's manufacturing process couldn't keep up with the demand - hence the lack of supply at pharmacies. The cardiac forum seemed to be saying that the brand version is going to continue to be available but not the generic.

I would advise telephoning the customer helplines for pfizer for the latest information about availability and long-term plans for Disopyramide.

Flop