Really Hungry After Exercise

yogini

I exercise regularly and have been doing so for years, but I've never had a problem with getting really hungry after I've worked out. I'm no doctor, but it seems that blood sugar could be an issue...Are you eating before you go work out? Some carbs and protein? Also, Gatorade or Nuun or something to replace your electrolytes may help.

Had that response on occasion. Usually get mild appetite suppression after exercise, but have been times a really deep hunger comes instead. My body response is pretty unreliable! Often pushed to deep calorie deficit (couple thousand kcals in the red) in the past and rarely triggered "hunger", just eventual deep fatigue (can be explained if alternate energy is being properly maintained and if a "stress response" is triggered to postpone hunger in lieu of more pressing challenges). Some varied responses are not uncommon for otherwise healthy exercisers. It seems much has to do with the "metabolic state" the body is in before and during exercise... and much of exercise physiology focuses on manipulating that state pre, during & post exercise (especially for fat loss). Potsgirl is right on target about pre exercise feeding (of appropriate nutrients)... that is suggested to avoid a "rebound" hunger and instead go for a "steady burn"!

In the spirit of your "Apart from an increase in POTS symptoms" premise... I will say that I often embrace the natural swings that the body has because they often do serve a purpose (for example, crudely speaking, insulin "pumps" energy & nutrients back in to healing muscles). The extent one can and should do this will vary. I mention it because it seems like hunger can get triggered from "specific shortages" as well as overall simple "energy/glucose" levels. I don't know the details, but I get that sense... for what it's worth.

I get the same exact thing but my doc has never caught me with abnormal blood sugar readings. All I can think of is that it's a BP issue or just that we used up all our resources and need more! I dunno! I definitely get "hungry" after exercising though...like I've been starving for weeks and can barely stand up without eating first. I drink a lot of water all throughout, but the hunger pains come and I feel SO much better after eating protein. Protein before you work out might prevent this from being so severe. It's the only thing that helps me---specifically chicken.

Thanks everyone. I'm actually pretty good at eating - balanced meals and eating regularly - and I'm gaining weight, so definitely not undereating. I drink lots of fluids throughout the day, so should be well-hydrated too. Today I went for a swim about an hr after I'd eaten a turkey burger, and I only felt a little hungry. Maybe I have to make a more conscious effort to eat protein before exercising.

In line with what firewatcher said about the hypothalmus... I have only felt "thirst" a couple times in the last several years. Neither of those times was I neglecting water (usually the opposite)... I think in my case it was a salt-craving impulse that was blurred (I was probably having too much plain water and not keeping electrolytes steady). I never get thirst partly because I always drink water, but even if I don't I will notice a severely dry mouth but don't get actual "thirst" impulse. I had a head injury so hypothalmus/pituitary injury is a possibility... or just electrolyte (and personal) derangement :)

And I'll give Mellissa a "Chicken High Five"... :)