Stopping Birth Control

yogini

Has anyone had a weird reaction to stopping birth control? I stopped mine (Ortho Tri Lo) in June. I did this 3 years ago and got extremely sick within a couple of weeks. This time, I was fine for the first month. But since then I've had a faster HR and more dizziness. Nothing else has changed, so I'm assuming this is the birth control. Is it possible to have a delayed reaction?

I'm taking BBs again to help with my symptoms - not ideal, but they I am hoping it is just for a short time until my hormoes readjust.

Also, I have GAINED 4 lbs. Shouldn't I be losing weght by stopping BCPs? HELP!!! <_<

I've read that it can sometimes take a year to rebalance your hormones when you make a change like that. I stopped BCP last October and went through several ups and downs since then ... can't say all if any were due to stopping the pills. I did put on about 10 pounds since that time ... which for me was a very good thing.

Good luck riding the waves.

Thanks. I just googled it. It is not uncommon for people to gain 5-10 lbs!!! Also, it can cause hot flashes. I've been feeling hot, and just now made the connection. Hormones can be so scary.

It could be worse - I am just glad I didn't collapse in the airport like I did last time I tried to stop. I'm still young enough to have kids, and I needed to get these pills out of my system at some point soon. Guess I will just grin and bear it!

• 2 weeks later...

I was told BCP's can raise your blood pressure, so stopping them might cause a dip in the old BP.

I have been on BCP's most of my life. I was most recently on them without the 7 day break to stop getting migraines.

I went off them in January, and appear to be in menopause. All I can say is that I will take hot flashes over migraines any day.

I just want to tell people, that menopause has really been a blessing. I was so much sicker during my period, and had to go off the BCP's every few months due to break through bleeding.

I do have to say that stopping them was a week from ****, with dizziness and headaches.

I switched from years and years on a BCP to Mirena (local hormone rather than systemic in an IUD). My skin is acting up (yuck, pimples!) and I've gained some weight. My habits haven't changed (exercise or eating) so I assume it's partly because of this.

I do hope our hormones 'balance out' in the first year, as someone mentioned. I didn't know that happened...hmmm. Well, hang in there. It's not the most fun thing to change BC.

Isn't birth control supposed to raise your blood pressure? Maybe it is helping keep your BP higher? I had the same thing when I didn't have anymore birth control to take after I stopped menstruating, and I got really ill for stopping it. I'm always better when I'm on it.

Janey