Posting For A Friend On Ciprofloxacin

Maxine

How many of you have been prescribed Ciprofloxacin----(cipro) for Bladder infections?

My friend is very sensitive to drugs, and suffers from heart arrhythmias also, and can not afford any set backs at this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprofloxacin

Also, how well have any of you tolerated ceftin, as this was an antibiotic I tolerated fairly well? I see it can be used for bladder infections also. However, it said if your allergic to penicillin to call the doc. She said she's allergic to penicillin.

Any help is appreciated! :blink:

Maxine :0)

I FDA Warns That Cipro and Similar Antibiotics May Rupture Tendons

http://www.webmd.com/news/20080708/fda-war...rupture-tendons

I will never take any of these ever again. I had pain so bad the lab work came back like I had run a marathron. I live with multifocal joint/muscle pain and nerve pain, but I knew something was different. After that my mom was in a nursing home for a short period of time and they were going to put her one that for the same reason. I spoke up and told my story. I asked that she be put on Zithromax. It's easy, 2 pills the first day then 1 pill each day for 4 days.

Just one time it played with my heart, but they were really messing with my heart meds also. We stopped it just to be safe, since then I haven't had a problem taking it. I'm allergic to most.

Good luck Maxine to your friend.

BellaMia~

Well, it depends Futurehope. If you suffer from arrhythmias and did fine on it it makes a difference, as this drug can cause heart arrhythmias. However, chances may be remote, and the arrhythmias could be secondary to an adverse reaction dropping the BP too quickly.

It helps to ask about other experiences to help gauge a decision on weather or not to take a prescription, especially if it's possibly neuro toxic.

I know a man who's dysautonomia got worse because one of the research hospitals used antibiotics as one of the trial drugs used in the study.

He's doing better today as far as I know, but had severe OI for a while.

Her doctor doesn't see enough ANS patients, if any, so he wouldn't know how well this drug is tolerated by people with ANS dysfunction.

BellaMia, thanks so much for your reply. I'm sorry you went though that. My sister in law had a simular experience on it, but she doesn't have POTS, or any other type of ANS dysfunction. She had lasting effects for a while. I'm glad you were there for your mother-----------no telling what might have happened if your weren't.

Cipro is a Floraquinolin (sp) and a friend of mine sent me this site, and another that I can't find right now because she knew I was looking for an antibiotic to take. It is very common to have central nervous system side effects on this drug. I am with Bella Mia I won't take these drugs. I took one once, and that was the last time. I understand where your friend is coming from, and sure hope that she can find something that works. I am in the same boat with her, because I have had a reaction to pencillin, and am trying to figure out what I can take. Let me know if she finds something. I would like to know what I might be able to try. I feel for her.

Suzy

http://fqvictims.org/fqvictims/index.htm

Thanks so much for the links Suzy and BellaMia. :P Very interesting, and I'm glad you were able to provide valuable information.

I'm sure this will help her, and hopefully she can find something else that can help. Thanks for the tip on Zithromax BellaMia. hopefully this in an option for her. She still needs to address the bladder infection.

This drug (cipro) sounds like a horrible choice, and I wonder why it's still available.

WOW, after reading the warnings from FDA from your link BellaMia I'm stunned. Can you imagine what this drug would do to an EDS patient!!!! My cervical/cranail area already feels like it's being held together by a bunch of old rubberbands. The rest of me isn't doing so hot either.

Suzy, that list of ADRs on the link are truly shocking.

Thanks Again!

I was on Cipro for a UTI 9 months after starting POTS symptoms and did fine. I'm allergic to Penicillin.

I did have hip surgery 9 months later to repair a ruptured ligament, but I'm positive it ruptured as a result of a car accident and not Cipro because there were other injuries in my hip (dented femur, torn labrum, inflammation).

I'm allergic to Penicillin also.

FYI:

As long as we on the subject of black box warnings I also had bad side effects to are the statin drugs for cholesterol. They also do muscle damage. Google them and read about them. I've been in the hospital all day and I'm a little out of it tonight with the heat wave Where I live.

these have all been on the news in the last years or so.

I Google everything before putting it in my mouth.

Be we BellaMia~