Calcium Supplements

Hello,

I have tried two different brands of calcium citrate, and within 15 minutes of taking a tablet I am starting to get sleepy and sedated feeling. I tried taking it at night, and after a few days I was still feeling this same way when I got up and had a hard time waking up in the morning.

I really sholud be taking calcium supplements because I don't have any dairy in my diet. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at 22 years old. I also take the prescription 50000 IU vitamin D twice monthly, and recently had my blood levels of both vitamin D and calcium checked, so I know they are not high.

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced this? I know that with dysautonomia we seem to be incredibly reactive and sensitive to everything, but I feel like this is just ridiculous! Any ideas or thoughts? Thank you!

~ Broken_Shell <_<

Edited by flop
Duplicate post deleted

i use them when i wake in the night time as they lull me back to sleep. i had been told that taking them with all your other meds it wies them out of your body.

Is your calcium supplement balanced with magnesium? The calcium/magnesium channel is like the sodium/potassium channel in thst both must be kept in balance. I take magnesium for my heart rhythm and my cardiologist recommends a brand called slo-mag which is balanced with calcium too. It breaks down into the system little by little all day long. I use to take 3-4 times as much magnesium citrate but as with most mega doses of vitamins, i'd lose most of it in my urine. The magnesium chloride and the calcium carbonate in slo-mag work well for me.

The slo-mag -- even tho only 25% of your dailr recommended for calcium, may have enough to support your dietary needs.

Otherwise, you may want to see if you can find a different brand of timed release calcium.

I use to be dairy-free as well as one of my kids when she was only 1 year old (health issues she eventually outgrew) and with some practice and planning we were able to get ample calcium through our diet with certain veggies and fish (we weren't vegetarians back then).

Good luck finding something that works for you.

I also have osteoporosis of the spine, and osteopenia in my thigh bones. I drink a lot of orange juice with added calcium and vitamin D, eat low-fat cheese, and take a calcium supplement once daily. Unfortunately, I can't stand milk or yogurt. I've just started with the calcium, but haven't experienced more sleepiness with them yet. I could sure use it at night to get a decent night's sleep! How much calcium do you take? Also, EarthMother's idea with the magnesium is good - I need to implement that, too.

Cheers,

Jana