Gi Doc Want To Do Colonoscopy/endoscopy

Rene S.

Hi. Yesterday I posted that I was having horrible GI problems (nausea, inability to eat, reflux, ibs). Well, I spoke with my GI dr last night and he said go on Carafate (yuck!) and schedule an colonoscopy/endoscopy at the same time, but not until I get clearance from my cardio. Now which cardio? My original was fired me in November when he said that you can't have dysautonomia and have high b/p too! Then I was passed onto someone else whom I've only seen a few times.

My question - anyone with labile hypertension ever had a colonoscopy/endoscopy and needed clearance from cardio?

Also, anyone have any experience with Moviprep? I've had two colonosopies in the past and always used the Fleets Prep Kit 1 with no problem. I don't want to have to drink all of that Moviprep especially since I'm so nauseated all of the time that I'll probably throw it up. And it also contains I believe an artificial sweetner which I can't handle.

Thanks for any advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Rene

I also need a colonoscopy done, but for reasons that my mother died of colon cancer. I have had two already, but then I didn't have pots. I have a consultation with my doctor to show him my medical records and discuss how he plans on doing this procedure with my new health issues. When I talked to the nurse he now uses osmoprep, which is in pill form. When I looked it up on drugs.com I wasn't too impressed with this solution either. I see him next Friday so I'll let you know what he has to say and what he advises me to take. I have been researching about colonic irrigation for the cleansing instead of taking the meds, but I don't know if that is possible or not yet. I did talk to a nurse who does this and she stated that she thought inserting the tube might make my heart rate increase because of the pressure of the tube on the nervous system. So many decisions to make. I'm really not looking forward to this at all, in fact I'm quite nervous about the whole procedure.

Maggie

Most people handle bowel prep without too many problems. With things like moviprep the thing to watch out for is dehydration (the prep works by making water go through you to clear out any waste in the colon). Some people get admitted to the hospital to have their bowel prep so that they can have IV fluids to keep them hydrated. But that is more usual for elderly people or those with diabetes.

They can look at the lower part of the colon after using fleet enemas as preparation but that doesn't clean out the colon further up so to have a good look they almost always want you to take oral bowel prep. I have taken both Kleenprep and Piccolax without any problems.

Flop

The movie prep can be mixed with liquids like lemonade or ginger ale which makes it easy to drink. The problem I had with the CS is I have hypoglycemia & the longer I went without solid food & the more liquid I drank the lower my blood glucose got. By 2:00 in the afternoon I was passing out so I had to call off the CS. I had no trouble with keeping down the prep drink. My DIL also did the movie prep & said it was a breeze. Good luck!

Thank you all so much for your advice and for sharing your experiences. I've had both colonoscopies and endoscopies before, prior to the dysautonomia. In fact I had 2 of each. And with the colonoscopy I did the fleets Kit #1 and thought it was a breeze. Drinking this Moviprep sounds gross and I'm afraid how it wil affect my b/p. I can't believe with every little thing we have to get clearance. I don't think it's an option for me to be admitted for unless you are dying, they don't admit you. And it would be done in a surgi center anyway. So many factors come into play. All the things we could take for granted before becoming"ill". I know that even now, being back on the carafate, I have to step it down because a full dose makes me dizzy and sick and I never had that reaction before.

It's all so frustrating and personally, I think the GI dr should be the one to get clearance from the cardio instead of having me do it.

I'll keep you posted and let you know who/what wins.

Rene