How To Handle Nausea

Hi. Every since this "illness" struck 8 months ago, I've been plagued with the inability to eat. Some days I can eat (appetite is actually better late at night). Food has no appeal to me and I have to force it down my throat. I do have IBS and reflux and lately all of my symptoms are worse. I've also been experiencing dry heaves and burps where it sounds like I'm vomiting (sorry to be so graphic). I know I need to see my GI guy and have an appt. next month. However, with this horrid stomach problem I also get a burning headache that seems to make my shoulders and head burn. Almost as if I have a fever and I don't. My normal body temp is always 96.5.

I used to love to eat, now it's lost all appeal. And I know I'm not eating correctly as well. I just ate some pretzels and gatorade. I've been tested for celiacs both via blood and sample during an endoscopy and the tests have been negative.

I also get the chills when this happens. I know it sounds like a virus, but it's not.

I also have Fibro/cfs and wondering if this is coming into play or is this strictly the dysautonomia.

I've tried drinking the ensures and just to get the extra calories in, but the make me sick. I can't get my weight past 88lbs and am beside myself.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, have you found something that works? Right now the only med I take is klonopin 1/2 milligram 3 times a day. I supplement with fish oil, baby aspirin, Coq-10, magnesium and a muliti vitamin w/o iron.

Thanks for any help.

Rene

Have you tried anti-nausea/vomiting meds like phenergan, zofran, or reglan--perhaps that would stop the dry heaves? Perhaps your GP would be willing to help you out with medication to try and tide you over until your appointment with the GI doc since it's so far off?

Oh Rene, I feel your frustration in your post and I wish I could offer better advice! I do owe you a PM...on my list when I feel up to it. Here are the only things I can think of for the nausea...

When I get the nausea and diarrhea episodes, it helps if I eat a bland, dry diet - brown rice, egg whites, bananas, applesauce.

The fish oil could be making things worse, have you tried stopping that?

I know you were negative for celiac, but have you tried gluten free anyways? What about dairy free, corn free, soy free, additive coloring and flavoring free?

Have you tried probiotics? Several varieties?

Considered a naturopath to go the route of yeast overgrowth treated with Nystatin, probiotics, and an elimination diet?

What about the anti-nausea meds mentioned by Heiferly?

Good luck, and please know that I am keeping you in my prayers!

~ Michelle :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leary of anti-nausea drugs since I'm deathly allergic to compazine and probably would be scared to try another one.

I did talk to my GI and he suggested the Carafate suspension. Gross. Seems to think that it will calm the reflux which may be adding to all of my other symptoms.

He wants me to get an endoscopy and colonoscopy but now I have to get clearance from the cardio (which one, cardio #1 or number 2????) since my b/p goes all over the place.

This is so frustrating.

The dry heaves are the worst.

Thanks, Michelle, but the thought of a banana right now would just eat at my heartburn!

I'll forgo the fish oil tonight.

Do you find that stress also adds to this?

I just want to eat like a normal person.

Rene

I can emphasize with you, there is nothing worse to me then being so nauseous that one cannot eat. When doctors found out my heart rate was too high they immediately began to give me all sorts of meds to bring it down. I went from having a high heart rate to a person with a high heart rate and as sick as a dog! My doctor insisted that I see a GI doc, but I just knew it was the meds. In the end I never did need the GI doctor. I stayed that way until I got off the meds and then it took six months of eating very blan diet plus nexium to calm my stomach. I lost 40 pounds in one month from being so sick. I now know what I can eat and what I can't so that I don't get sick any more. You never know what can cause the nausea, I hope you find out what works for you so that you can feel better and eat again.

Maggie

One more thought Rene,

Have you ever tried a PPI... even just something OTC like Prilosec?

~ Michelle

If you are allergic to compazine, I'd be VERY careful of other anitemetics as many similar to compazine.

Zofran though is one that is quite different though from the rest.

Personally I have not found it helps w/ my nausea and vomiting much but others have found it does help.

The other good thing about Zofran is it is not a dopamine antagonist like most of the others.

Have you been tested for gastroparesis?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leary of anti-nausea drugs since I'm deathly allergic to compazine and probably would be scared to try another one.

I did talk to my GI and he suggested the Carafate suspension. Gross. Seems to think that it will calm the reflux which may be adding to all of my other symptoms.

He wants me to get an endoscopy and colonoscopy but now I have to get clearance from the cardio (which one, cardio #1 or number 2????) since my b/p goes all over the place.

This is so frustrating.

The dry heaves are the worst.

Thanks, Michelle, but the thought of a banana right now would just eat at my heartburn!

I'll forgo the fish oil tonight.

Do you find that stress also adds to this?

I just want to eat like a normal person.

Rene

Hi Rene,

I'm sorry you're battling with yet another issue! I get nauseated from time to time, but usually not enough to give me the dry heaves or cause me to vomit. Sometimes I'll take Maalox Advanced Extra Strength in fruit-flavored tablet form, which is the only OTC drug I've found to help. I think you might be able to use it, it doesn't have a lot of extra ingredients. You could try just 1/2 or 1 tablet to try it out...I have some friends with POTS who have gone on gluten-free diets, and that's worked for some of them. I know that I've restricted my diet to foods that I know won't upset my stomach too much, but I still have a lot of bloating. Ugh. It's like having your period 24/7.

I'm sure you'll find something that will work for you, never fear. It'll just take some experimentation. Hang in there and be well!

Cheers,

Jana