Midodrine

Hi,

I have been having more and more problems being upright for more than 5 minutes at a time, and I have decided that it is time to give a good trial to midodrine. I took 1.25 mg this am, and got really strange feeling afterwards. I have so many problems with medications, and i am both scared to take it and scared of how I am feeling more and more of the time. It also seems like the couple times I have tried a pill of midrodine that it makes me get more bowel movements and intestinal cramping. Has anyone noticed this either? (I am worried about this because GI activity is a huge trigger for my autonomic system to go crazy).

I would appreciate it if anyone who has had either good or bad experiences with midodrine could tell me about them. I need some advice and peace of mind because I know many people on the forum use this medication.

Thank you in advance.

~ Broken_Shell :)

Guest brianala

I have been on Midodrine for over 6 months now and it has been an absolute miracle for me. I could not tolerate beta blockers at all, they kept me feeling like I was drugged and wanted to sleep all. day. long.

Midodrine has effectively given me my life back, and has enabled me to start exercising again and almost forget about my dysautonomia on a day-to-day basis.

I started out on 2.5 mg three times a day. Now I'm up to 5 mg, and I may have to go up a little more before I find the right amount. I find that it generally wears off in about 3 hours for me, so the last hour I start to get a little worn down and tired again before I take my next dose.

1.25 mg is still a very small dose, so you may not feel a great deal of benefit from it yet. I have not experienced any side effects from Midodrine, except for the tingly scalp (which I kind of enjoy, to be honest).

I took midodrine for about 6 months a while back. I was on 2.5mg three times a day. I didn't feel much benefit from it but I didn't get any side-effects either. I think that the 2.5mg dose was too small for me, I've heard that others take much higher doses to get the benefits.

Flop

I have been on Midodrine for the last 7 months and I take 40 mg a day after being on 70mg initially... I've tappered my dose down because I felt it was making more tired then I already was. I could not function without this medcation, I am a fainter and this med was the only thing that allowed me to be upright starting at short periods of time such as 20 - 30 mins. I am now up to staying up to about 2 hours on a good day. Hope this helps...

I tried midodrine one time. I couldn't stick with it. I only took it a few day and had stomach problems. I do wonder if I could have stuck with it longer if my stomach would have adjusted. Can't remember the dosage. It was the first thing recommended by the neurologist I saw at Mayo.